Fishing the Georges River - Kayak

Billthekrill

Hey,

My father and I recently picked up a couple of decent fishing kayaks off gumtree to use in the Georges River system and had a blast yesterday testing them along the Woronora River. We saw quite a few bust-ups (not sure which fish though) and flicked soft plastics not to seriously for maybe 30 minutes. 

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for fishing the Woronora or larger Georges River (good spots for a day trip, gear or anything else) or just for kayak fishing in general. I want to look into surface lures or poppers but don't really know where to start (will probably ask at local tackle shop for that one). Also, I heard that some anglers troll a lure behind them as they travel in their kayak, what kind of lure is best used for this and how much slack should it be given?  

Thanks for your time! 

Never fished that area but:

Put leashes on as much stuff as you can including rods. There are plenty of ideas on google for making them cheaply yourself.

Take plenty of drinking water, especially in summer.

Cover up. The next kayak fisho to get seriously sunburned legs and feet won't be the first.

When moving between spots I usually troll a hardbody and a soft plastic. Paddling will naturally impart and stop/start movement. Surface poppers can also be worked this way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sharknett said:

Never fished that area but:

Put leashes on as much stuff as you can including rods. There are plenty of ideas on google for making them cheaply yourself.

Take plenty of drinking water, especially in summer.

Cover up. The next kayak fisho to get seriously sunburned legs and feet won't be the first.

When moving between spots I usually troll a hardbody and a soft plastic. Paddling will naturally impart and stop/start movement. Surface poppers can also be worked this way.

Thanks for the advice!

I fish around there a bit, just keep at it and you’ll find fish. The best piece of kayak advice I can give you is to take an empty bottle with you, for when you need to ‘go’. Saves trying to find a suitable place to get out of the yak. Best thing I ever did! The ol Pee bottle! 😂😂

I fished the Woronora in a kayak I would do casting and trolling hard and soft plastics lures , bream flathead  whiting are fish to be had .Like the boys have told you take water with you it can get hot in a kayak and a bottle for as said to do a wee as getting out of your kayak to do it in the bush could be trouble if there are snakes and during the hotter months there will be and watch they don't try to get into the kayak good luck .

Edited by masterfisho7
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bass assassin said:

I fish around there a bit, just keep at it and you’ll find fish. The best piece of kayak advice I can give you is to take an empty bottle with you, for when you need to ‘go’. Saves trying to find a suitable place to get out of the yak. Best thing I ever did! The ol Pee bottle! 😂😂

Or get a Hobie and aim for the drive hole

Edited by sharknett

On 12/20/2018 at 8:03 AM, masterfisho7 said:

I fished the Woronora in a kayak I would do casting and trolling hard and soft plastics lures , bream flathead  whiting are fish to be had .Like the boys have told you take water with you it can get hot in a kayak and a bottle for as said to do a wee as getting out of your kayak to do it in the bush could be trouble if there are snakes and during the hotter months there will be and watch they don't try to get into the kayak good luck .

Haha, appreciate the advice! I've only ever fished with soft plastics and want to try some surface and diving lures. What weights and features should I look for? Also, does anyone have any advice for weight on soft plastic jigheads? I'm using 1/6 and 1/8 oz at the moment.