Insurance - what have you?

MikeTan

Hello,

another newbie. Got myself a Caribbean Concorde over the weekend and now realising much more needs to be sorted....boat cover, hitch lock, Inox amongst many others.

Let’s start with insurance.....

Which is the better priced insurers to go for?

Do you need one for trailer? I have heard it’s often targeted by lowlifes.

MT

I am with NRMA. We have been with them for 30 years and have around 13 policies, which helps greatly with discounts (plus, my wife works for them, so there is a staff discount on top),  You usually insure the whole package (boat, motor, trailer), so the whole lot is covered. When I first took out the policy, we worked out the value of each component of the package separately. That way, if the trailer is stolen while I’m on the water, it’s covered but, of course, the boat is fine. Same thing if the motor happened to be stolen, or caught fire etc.

I’ve heard that Club Marine is OK and, no doubt, other Raiders will have their own opinions. Use the search function - it has been discussed before.

Congratulations on your new acquisition. May you spend many ours on the water in her.

Edited by Berleyguts

As @Berleyguts said - insurance suppliers have been discussed previously. I’m with NRMA. Was with Club M. Was with NRMA before that. Shop around and read the policy!!

Re trailer. Depending on the incident it is part of your boat insurance (usually listed and valued separately on the policy) when the boat is on it, or it’s part of your car insurance when being towed (again check your car policy). 

Re all the stuff that needs to be sorted - well you’ve joined FR - 👍- you might also want to join Marine Rescue (if you plan offshore trips regularly), boat license, registration, mechanical check of trailer and outboard and battery and wiring ....and don’t forget the safety gear!!!

welcome to boating - captain @MikeTan !

cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went RACQ as our cars and home contents are with them.  Found them to be one of, if not the cheapest I found.  I do have to get my 87 carribean surveyed though before next year as its now 30 years old and needs to be assessed for safety by a professional.  But I think others will have a similar policy on older boats

On 12/21/2018 at 11:16 AM, Fishop said:

I went RACQ as our cars and home contents are with them.  Found them to be one of, if not the cheapest I found.  I do have to get my 87 carribean surveyed though before next year as its now 30 years old and needs to be assessed for safety by a professional.  But I think others will have a similar policy on older boats

I have got a 30 year old Caribbean too. Is it a normal for a survey prior insurance is approved?

11 minutes ago, MikeTan said:

I have got a 30 year old Caribbean too. Is it a normal for a survey prior insurance is approved?

It depends on the insurer and also if you want to insure as "Agreed Value" or "Market Value".  

Agreed Value on older boats usually requires either an inspection, valuation and/or survey.

Cheers Zoran

This subject interests me as mine is up for renewal.  I am currently with NRMA and have never had to make a claim. 

I was just looking through Club Marine and found this- which concerns me a little. I can’t find the equivalent with the NRMAbut I will be doing some checking. 

This screen shot is an expert from Clu Marine and the wording of number 3 concerns me

(Coments welcome)

D097679D-252E-41F7-AA30-00AF7C44EC7A.png

7 hours ago, shakey55 said:

This subject interests me as mine is up for renewal.  I am currently with NRMA and have never had to make a claim. 

I was just looking through Club Marine and found this- which concerns me a little. I can’t find the equivalent with the NRMAbut I will be doing some checking. 

This screen shot is an expert from Clu Marine and the wording of number 3 concerns me

(Coments welcome)

D097679D-252E-41F7-AA30-00AF7C44EC7A.png

That’s because when your trailer is attached to a vehicle, the vehicle insurance kicks in re liability.

Edited by Berleyguts