Using NON-Australian standard ticked life jackets???

vcreation

On 12/29/2018 at 12:55 PM, antonywardle said:

While checking to see what I need on my new boat, I found this line on Maritime website:

For enclosed and open waters, all safety equipment carried on board must be: • In good condition and meet appropriate standards or specifications • Maintained or serviced according to manufacturer’s specifications • Replaced before the expiry date listed by manufacturer (if applicable) • Stored in an easily accessible location.

So the way that I read this is if it is on board, it have to current. SO that would mean that I can't carry expired flares as a backup to my in date ones?

I'm definitely going to have to flag down an inspector and ask them. 

This is correct - I was fined for it the other day. I was fishing alone and wearing my inflatable life jacket, which had been tested in the last 12 months like they want. I also had an old life jacket which had been in the boat for 25+ years, stashed under the bow. The Maritime officer stated that all safety equipment on board had to be in good condition and must be replaced when it expires. The old life jacket I had stashed under the bow came to pieces when I pulled it out when he wanted to see it - clearly not in good condition. The fine is $250.

Edited by f1shen
  • Thanks 2