Fish targeting my swivel?

mtlg

Ive seen baitfish nibbling at swivels before but today while putting some livies down at Jervis Bay my line got cleanly cut without any pull to the line 3 times in a row.

All 3 cuts seemed to be very close to the leader. In the second go i removed the lead with no success and only when i removed the swivel (line to line knot) my line finally remained hole. Shortly after the yakka got a chunk of its back bitten off, then nothing.

Is this a thing? How do you get around it? The lead was constantly twisting on itself with no swivel which is kind of annoying...

As Ryder said, leather jackets are famous swivel biters in the bay and can be in plague proportions at times. When they're thick they can devour a hooked squid before you can get it to the boat and rip your jig to bits at the same time. Try a small, black swivel, or better still get rid of it altogether.

Definitely a squid that got your yakka.

Thanks for all the knowledge

Im pretty sure i used black swivels a couple of the bite offs, might have to stick to using none in that area.

Interesting to know about the squid, i should try for some when im back at that spot

1 hour ago, mtlg said:

Thanks for all the knowledge

Im pretty sure i used black swivels a couple of the bite offs, might have to stick to using none in that area.

Interesting to know about the squid, i should try for some when im back at that spot

Even the black ones are a little shiny, I'm positive this attracts the jackets