Role of long distance casting fishing local beaches

Volitan

I’m just wanting to hear peoples’ opinion on this subject.

I live on the southern end of the NSW Central Coast. Most of the local beaches have the same structure; which is (describing from the seaward side inwards) a single distant sandbank with a back break on its outer edge, a shallowish and rather barren sandbank, a dropoff on the near side of the sandbank which is typically quite productive if you can find it, a channel or gutter typically about 400-1000mm deeper then the sandbank, and then a low profile shore dropoff with a shorebreak on it. 

I think the sandbank is typically about 75 to 100 metres out from the shore on the upper side of the tide, though that’s only my guesstimate.

I think the northern Central Coast beaches and Hunter region beaches are probably much the same, though typically with more structure. Sydney beaches maybe also the same, can’t remember.

For this exercise, I’m defining a long distance cast as one that would put you beyond the sand bar and beyond the back break. It would have to be significantly beyond to be clear of the back break and into deeper water.  That’s my understanding, or maybe my distance estimates are all wrong.

I don’t have much liking for true surf rods, so I typically fish with thin rods about 10 feet long, which have about the same ‘backbone’ as a 7ft spinning rod, in fact they are just long spinning rods for which I typically turn up a butt extension on a wood lathe and fit to the bottom. They are limited to about 75 metre casting distance but significantly less in real world reality. That leaves me fishing in the gutter. Now I’m getting a bit bored of that.

I have previously been down the route of acquiring long-distance casting skills and equipment. It was a while ago but I can’t remember that it ever led to results any different to fishing close in the gutter – same fish just more effort. Or maybe it did, I can’t really remember and I didn’t live near the beach at the time so it’s possible I just didn’t give it a decent try.

So what Im tossing up is should I gear up again for long distance casting. It will require purchase of a longer, stronger rod and probably a reel to suit and dry land practise.

With respect, Id like people to understand that I’m not asking ‘how far can you cast’ or ‘what is the best gear for long distance casting’, the specific question I’m asking is ‘do you regularly fish beyond the back break and if so what results do you get compared to fishing in close’?

cheers

Volitan

I guess something we need to know is what species are you chasing? Are you after salmon and tailor or bream and whiting etc?

Down where I am on the south side of Jervis Bay we have similar beach structure as you describe but to get past the outer bank would require a cast of around 200m, so not really an option. I throw metals at salmon and tailor a lot and find the best spots to cast are entry and exit points of the gutters, particularly right on the edges under the white water. I know that doesn't answer your question but its the best response I can give.

Often when the fishing is quiet I scale the high dunes at the back of the beach to scout out travelling schools of fish and often see them behind the outer bank. 

For other species that feed mainly on worms and pippies I always fish right in close just behind the shore break simply because that's where the food is.

Thanks Hornet

I didn’t mention fish species because I don’t really know what is likely and what is not. I do know that I’m not after bread and butter species (bream,whiting) as I can get those easily in close so no point in going to extra effort.

So I guess, just speculating here, id like to think I’d be in with a chance with pelagics like bonito and smaller tuna species; and maybe bigger specimens of the species like flathead, trevally and snapper which I catch in close but are never very big. And maybe I’d have more chance at kingfish and jewfish too.

as for distance, I’ve been measuring that on google earth. It depends on the beach.  Near me, Killcare, Tallow, Putty, Avoca and Mcmasters doable with 100 metre cast in some parts. Most beaches probably too far though.

cheers,

v

Coming from the UK most of my shore fishing was using 13-14ft rods and small mag braked multi reels.

These days my biggest shore rods are 10ft simply because the bigger fish ( jews, salmon tailor and sharks ) will literally be in the close gutters almost at my feet. The shorter rods are also far better on my back targetting big fish

Edited by JonD

5 hours ago, Volitan said:

I’m just wanting to hear peoples’ opinion on this subject.

I live on the southern end of the NSW Central Coast. Most of the local beaches have the same structure; which is (describing from the seaward side inwards) a single distant sandbank with a back break on its outer edge, a shallowish and rather barren sandbank, a dropoff on the near side of the sandbank which is typically quite productive if you can find it, a channel or gutter typically about 400-1000mm deeper then the sandbank, and then a low profile shore dropoff with a shorebreak on it. 

I think the sandbank is typically about 75 to 100 metres out from the shore on the upper side of the tide, though that’s only my guesstimate.

I think the northern Central Coast beaches and Hunter region beaches are probably much the same, though typically with more structure. Sydney beaches maybe also the same, can’t remember.

For this exercise, I’m defining a long distance cast as one that would put you beyond the sand bar and beyond the back break. It would have to be significantly beyond to be clear of the back break and into deeper water.  That’s my understanding, or maybe my distance estimates are all wrong.

I don’t have much liking for true surf rods, so I typically fish with thin rods about 10 feet long, which have about the same ‘backbone’ as a 7ft spinning rod, in fact they are just long spinning rods for which I typically turn up a butt extension on a wood lathe and fit to the bottom. They are limited to about 75 metre casting distance but significantly less in real world reality. That leaves me fishing in the gutter. Now I’m getting a bit bored of that.

I have previously been down the route of acquiring long-distance casting skills and equipment. It was a while ago but I can’t remember that it ever led to results any different to fishing close in the gutter – same fish just more effort. Or maybe it did, I can’t really remember and I didn’t live near the beach at the time so it’s possible I just didn’t give it a decent try.

So what Im tossing up is should I gear up again for long distance casting. It will require purchase of a longer, stronger rod and probably a reel to suit and dry land practise.

With respect, Id like people to understand that I’m not asking ‘how far can you cast’ or ‘what is the best gear for long distance casting’, the specific question I’m asking is ‘do you regularly fish beyond the back break and if so what results do you get compared to fishing in close’?

cheers

Volitan

There are some long cast types of sinker rigs around now that will extend the cast distance, how they will work in with your rod choice im nit sure.

You can also get a surf cannon if that floats your boat?

The surf & shore breaks change with time so conditions on any beach change but Id tend to be looking more for gutters that form on any beach rather than chasing some sort of outrageous casting distance.

Even large Jew will cruise in relatively shallow gutters at the right tide looking for food over being out behind the breakers.

Your so called bread & butter fish will be closer in rather than out in the open!

Edited by kingie chaser

13 hours ago, JonD said:

These days my biggest shore rods are 10ft simply because the bigger fish ( jews, salmon tailor and sharks ) will literally be in the close gutters almost at my feet. The shorter rods are also far better on my back targetting big fish

That’s ‘observer bias’. Undoubtably more salmon, tailor and sharks travel beyond the break then ever move into the gutters.

where you live it probably doesn’t matter much because you are going to catch fish either way.

Guest Guest123456789

Best surf beach on the coast to fish is wamberal and most times you need a long rod to hit the back gutter for a few reasons:

*front gutter often filled with kelp (snag city) and unfishable.

*smaller tides the target species sometimes not present front gutter.

as JonD said and rightly so a lot of the time the fish are at your feet (but not always). 

So if I owned a tackle store I’d tell you to buy expensive long range casting gear. But it might be you don’t need it, particularly if your happy to be choosy when you go fishing and aren’t he’ll bent on catching a lot of fish and just happy to carry a small amount of gear, catch a few fish then head home.

Buy a drone if you want to go out far. Kogan do refurbished DJi Phantoms for about the same price as an expensive long cast setup ($500). It has return to home feature and will get you up to 2kms our to sea if you really want.

Edited by Djamba
Spelling

5 hours ago, Volitan said:

That’s ‘observer bias’. Undoubtably more salmon, tailor and sharks travel beyond the break then ever move into the gutters.

where you live it probably doesn’t matter much because you are going to catch fish either way.

Would you not cast in a gutter where fish hide and hunt? or cast past the breakers into the ocean?

Either way there are plenty of gear to get you bait/lure out far. surf cast reels, alveys, kite, cannon and drones. pick your poison.

But to answer your question. i fish the gutters and catch bread and butter species to sharks. never seen a bonnie or kingfish off the beach unless you are fishing a beach with a rock ledge nearby like blacksmiths.

31 minutes ago, Djamba said:

It has return to home feature and will get you up to 2kms our to sea if you really want.

If you do just make sure you are familiar with the rules around drones otherwise you might find yourself in the clink or being heavily fined!

You must always have line of sight to the drone & you certainly wouldn't be able to see it 2km's away!

https://droneflyer.gov.au/

https://www.casa.gov.au/modelaircraft