Kangaroo Island

Guest Jewel

Guest lbgking

Allright I admit it. I come from Sowth orstalya. I haven't fished down that way since I was a kid but some calls home have provided the original tried and tested spots.

The Penshaw jetty fishes well for king george whiting and tommy ruff during the day. Use cockles(pipies) on double paternoster rigs and a 1/2 oz pyramid sinker. You will find out that the local tackle stores and servos sell pre tied hooks so all you have to do is add two droppers to your main line. At night go for squid under the lights using jigs under bobby floats, dead baits also work well.

There are some good charters that run out of American river. Any KG whiting under 40cms are laughed at and they catch them using handlines!

Most southern beaches may hold salmon this time of year but pilchards can get scarce on the island. The mention of soft plastics may also draw some blank looks. And lures may be considerd white mans magic.

Don't bother to ask the locals and any rumors of escaped kingfish from the fish farms are usualy exagerated.

Now I have divulged all this information I may never be allowed to return home. Have a good trip and please post any photos if only for my own sentimental benefit. :1fishing1:

Thanks very much for your reply mate!

The info is for a mate who is heading down there and Im not expecting big things from him!!!

I will post any thing that results from your help.

Thanks again

Mick

Hey mate, Iwas fishing down there last year. I fished out of Cape Jervis on the main land just across from KI. the charter i went out with was fleuriou charters or southern fleureo charters. The skippers name was ben and I was told he has the best reputation out of the skippers. The fishing was slow except for me getting a 18 lb snapper on a snapper snatcher and hooking up another only to loose it half way up. the fishing is supposed to be best with big tidal flows. i would advise you to take your own equipment and have braided line. Also bring down some salted bait ie slimeys or pillies. All the fishing was drifting over reef and rubble in 40 to 50 metres. If you are down there in late summer /autumn that is when the mullet are there and in SA mullet mean monster kings. 10 kg is your average size fish with many going bigger. post-476-1132792911_thumb.jpg

post-476-1132792916_thumb.jpg

I can't add any detailed info on this thread, as I have never had the opportunity to get down there. However, my grandparents used to go down there once a year to stay with friends, and from all accounts the fishing is awesome.

Big bream, big whiting, no crowds. Add a few :beersmile: to that and I think it would be near enough to fishing heaven. The only down side is the chilly weather.

Your mate is a lucky man Mick. Hope I can convince the :wife: to get down there for a holiday one year. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1: