Port Stephens charter

Ali2196

I have been on a few out of PS but it was years ago & some of them are gone now(which is good!) but there are obviously new charters around now as well that I an not familiar with.

Some just concentrate on the game/marlin fishing while others do Broughton & some of the reefs etc.

Went out with Pacific Blue once & had an ok day but didn't bring anything home to rave about, its was reasonably priced.

I have had a couple of bad experiences though, on one charter which I think is now gone the decky was a nut case & you weren't allowed to touch a knife or do anything yourself & basically they would hook up the fish & then give you the rod & say reel!

That's not fishing to me!!

So now I take all my own gear with me as well otherwise & I like setting up my own rigs & fish how I want to fish while still taking some advice of course but they just tend to think that you don't know what your doing which annoys the hell out of me!

They could start charging you extra after you start losing a few jigs if your fishing that way. 

Anyway my suggestion would be to drop into the information centre in NB & pick up some info there & then go have a look at the vessels & try to speak to the operator & let him know what your want to try to target, some of them will just take you out & get you onto a few flathead & squire which you can catch anywhere & charge you $200 for it!

Its also hard at times if your just a single as they need a minimum number to run the charter.

Here is a link that may help as well-

https://portstephensbookings.com.au/activities/fishing-charters/

Not sure about the Kunara on that list though, I heard it burned last year but maybe scratchie or Baz could confirm that?

The Hammerhead looks like a decent boat & I would consider giving them a try myself next time I'm up there.

Good luck.

If you’re interested in an estuary charter, send me a PM. The guy I know is very successful and in addition to bream, flathead and whiting, puts clients into jew and kings, bonito and tuna when they’re in the Bay. I intend to take a charter with him some time.