Live Bait Tanks

Brent

Have been thinking about installing a live bait/fish tank in the tinnie. The bucket technology isn't really doing the job anymore.

Have looked at the reef tanks, they seem smallish to me....and rather expensive. maybe these are the go??

was thinking of doing an esky/ ice box conversion.....

Any ideas would be a great help.

Cheers

Brett

FSHIIIN

Have been thinking about installing a live bait/fish tank in the tinnie. The bucket technology isn't really doing the job anymore.

Have looked at the reef tanks, they seem smallish to me....and rather expensive. maybe these are the go??

was thinking of doing an esky/ ice box conversion.....

Any ideas would be a great help.

Cheers

Brett

FSHIIIN

Im just using 40lt plastic container that you can buy from bunnings. Also buy yourself an air-rator that can be conected to your battery, and off you go. Cheap and effective.

all the best

Gday, an idea ive got but yet to put to action is you can buy big bait boxes from local boat shop cut a hole in one of your bench seats and slide it in provided its a tiller steer, the other good thing is if you have foam for buoyancy inside your seats it will act as a good insulator and then place a portable aerator inside or use it as an esky :thumbup:

Big W sell a "Tropical Box" style esky/fishbox, very solid 60L insulated box- $98.00. Force 10 or someone make them. Just a suggestion if you go that way cause you will need a well insulted box. ( bit like a girl I once new )... :1prop:

Mate the Bunnings drums work well. I've used one for a while now.

You'd be far better running a pump and overflow and circulating seawater through the tank.

Aerators don't cut it as far as oxygenating the water is concerned and will only keep a yakka or two alive for a short time. Yakkas also shed scales which jam up and block an aerator.

Good luck.

In the past I have used an esky and plastic fish box/warick tub and a round plastic tub. I found the round tub kept the live bait happy as they can swim the full circle, however hard to find a neat corner to position a round tank.

I have used the circulating bait pump and water scoop systems. If you don’t mind the scoop the boat must be moving to get water to the tank and at rest you just pour a bucket of water in every now and then. Works fine for Yakka's.

If you were going to keep some slimey mackerel for live bait, then I would run with the pump

Try to ensure whatever system /container you use that you have a good seal around the lid and overflow, because as the water sloshes around it will not take long to discover you may have a few unwanted litres in the bottom of the boat.

Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers

The one I used was shaped like a barrel with a screw on lid.

By a complete fluke a screw fitting (with a pipe attachment) happens to be the exact right size & thread to screw into the hole for the tap at the base of the tank as well.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Sorry late to reply but went fishin yesterday!!

Have given me something to think about. Will definently go with pump set up. It's just now a decision on whether the barrel or ice box will fit the spot i want to put it in. looks like it's a trip with the measuring tape.

Cheers Brett

Brett

I dont know if this helps but this is what I use out of a small tinny. It came from Kmart and cost about $50

It is a 44 litre esky with a half lid, pump with pick up and it is at the right height so it just emptys back over the back

Photos attached

post-75-1132740921_thumb.jpg

post-75-1132740936_thumb.jpg

post-75-1132740968.jpg

Good point Bash but it is still country miles in front of a bucket without fresh water circulation.

the simplest (worthwhile) livie tank i've tried was just to get a plastic storage container with an airtight lid(the ones your wife loves to fill the cupboards with) from k-mart, plus a cheap battery-operated air pump (some of them run off a 12V battery as well as C or D-size). i drilled a hole through the lid and stuck the hose from the pump into the water.

total cost is about $25, works well enough in a tinnie