Sydney Harbour Squid

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

From time to time my favourite squidding spots seem to dry up on me so I have been thinking about trying a few new land-based spots ( easier than getting the boat out) and increasing my potential squidding spots.

Many years ago I fished the Hacking a lot more and I had some good land-based spots where I could pretty much guarantee either a feed or a good bait supply.

Sometimes I would catch in advance with the belief that fresh dead squid is still a good bait and on that subject, I would rate squid baits as follows. I would be happy to hear from other Raiders who may have a view on this.

1) Live Squid

2) Very recently ( up to a few hours)  dead squid

3) Caught last night squid.

4) Caught and snap frozen squid along with all that inky goodness.

Now, its taken me some time to get to the point of this post but here is the question for all you harbour squid fishermen...

All things equal ( like no recent heavy rains) what would you say the upper limit for Arrow Squid and Calamari is in Sydney Harbour?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Jim

Hi @ fragmiester,

I’ve caught arrow squid as far west as at the front of cabaritta marina and the channel around putney in a boat, and read & heard of green eyes been caught off the bank between the marina & the boat ramp up that way, I’ve also caught calamari around the mouth of Lanecove river, stands to reason if the food (prawns & baitfish)is around they can’t be to far away, good luck on finding new locations 

14 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Hi @ fragmiester,

I’ve caught arrow squid as far west as at the front of cabaritta marina and the channel around putney in a boat, and read & heard of green eyes been caught off the bank between the marina & the boat ramp up that way, I’ve also caught calamari around the mouth of Lanecove river, stands to reason if the food (prawns & baitfish)is around they can’t be to far away, good luck on finding new locations 

Thanks...

I will concentrate on the east of Gladesville bridge.

I am on the road a fair bit at the moment so I am on trying out all the ferry wharves where permissible.

Cheers

Jim

Hi going the other way ive caught both Arrow Squid and Calamari a bit past Roseville boat ramp. Nothing better than chasing squid i often spend a day just squiding from the boat. Great feed and as you pointed out the number 1 bait in the harbour is live squid..