Snapper. Male or female?

gundi4

Hello all,

I wanted to put it out there if anyone knows how to ID if a snapper is male or female?

The reason I ask is that I was watching a video on a popular fishing show on YouTube (I’ll post the link at the end if you want to watch), and the host identifies male snapper due to a band of flesh that runs horizontally just above the top lip. I underlined the “band” in green (pic 1).

Now I know the snapper caught in the video is in Victoria but I’m assuming that wouldn’t make a difference in NSW as they are the same species. Also I have looked through pics of my snapper catches and can now notice the “band” in some of the specimens. Personally I also think a distinguishing feature is a rounded, flattened nose coming off that band, whereas females have more of a flat line straight to the lip(pic 2).

Not sure if it’s true (or if it’s in my head) but since seeing this YouTube video I can notice these differences.

Anyway I thought it was interesting and would be interested to see if anyone has any info to shed light. 

Cheers

https://youtu.be/iM1HOEvtfSI

C2BF38CB-5F1D-4D9B-868C-B3C90086FC44.png

6572E03C-0756-4781-894A-8CDA18A72709.jpeg

Yeah I understand it might be hard to see from the pics only. 

So first pic I have added two green lines to show that little flat section just above the lip (male).

Second pic indicates the flat line all all the way to the lip (female).

I will add that I’m not sure if it’s correct or if I’m now just seeing things because it’s in my head 😂

ps the first pic is from the YouTube video (not mine) but yes I should be a bit more active in posting fishing reports!