Braid cut mid water?

Gabm

In Botany Bay last weekend, fishing over sand in no more than 15 metres, we lost several rigs: some cut through leader, but eventually braid was cut on two rods. Light set-ups (6 & 8 lb), braid colours white & green. Bait, jig head, slug & a squid jig! All within an expensive half hours drift.

Late last year we lost another in the same way. But has not happened prior, ever, in 3 years of fishing the bay.

Any idea what fish could be causing this?

I thought a plague of jackets but over sand?

Jackets can be anywhere and you only need one in the water to bite the line. Puffer fish and toad fish can do the same thing and there is a chance if you were drifting or wining in that a little tailor has had a snip at your leader knot or even something that has got caught around your line like a little bit of weed or debris. Especially if the line is moving or twitching in the case of the jig head, slug and squid jig.

You're other possibility is there is a tiny fracture on one of your guides that is causing damage to your braid or the braid has rubbed on something sharp at some stage in its life and is giving up under the slightest pressure.

Edited by Captain Spanner

2 hours ago, Gabm said:

In Botany Bay last weekend, fishing over sand in no more than 15 metres, we lost several rigs: some cut through leader, but eventually braid was cut on two rods. Light set-ups (6 & 8 lb), braid colours white & green. Bait, jig head, slug & a squid jig! All within an expensive half hours drift.

Late last year we lost another in the same way. But has not happened prior, ever, in 3 years of fishing the bay.

Any idea what fish could be causing this?

I thought a plague of jackets but over sand?

I experienced exactly the same thing at Botany two weeks ago.

Casted out 3 times, and came back with cut braid. I usually have at least 50-60cm leader but there was no sign of leader. After rigging up 3 times in a space of 10mins, got sick of whatever it was, packed up and left. We were fishing above sand near the oil drums where the seal usually sunbakes. Can't believe what I was seeing as there didn't appear to be anything like tailor around....it was really weird.

I remember this happening to me years ago, curious I was I started to slowly drop the bait and bring it closer and closer. Seen all these wierd yellow fish. I kept trying to catch one, turns out when I pulled them they were jackets. I went and bought wire trace next time and caught a heap and had an awesome barabachuey

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. 

Good point on the guides, but it happened on 3 different rods at the same time within a short time so it’s prabably jackets or similar. If it happens again, maybe wire with a mono hand line will confirm.