Custom Rods from Caringbah

Ryder

I just scored a couple of rods online. The seller said they were Custom made in Caringbah by something like Arnel or Arpell sports? It definitely started with an A. Does that sound right? 

Looking at the runners I would say late 70s 80s. The red one is a Snyderglas 7144 labeled Wilson, the yellow Butterworth 8150.image.thumb.jpg.3dd4089d16abcf2798482cdd637256b1.jpg

• Like 1

That would have been Ken Appel Sports store.  Moved to Taren Point/Caringbah where he stayed for a few years until the store was sold and franchised to Tackle World.  The rod builder could possibly have been Greg Calvert.

• Thanks 1

Ken Appel made me a 2 piece, 12 foot beach rod (very uncommon for a beach rod) nearly 50 years ago. He made it himself. Had 2 runners replaced last year due to wear. Still a great rod to use with an Alvey side cast, also worked well from the rocks.

• Like 1

Cheers Yowie, after I posted I thought I should've just sent you a PM.

They definitely made quality rods. Both of these are well used, 30-40 years old, but I would be happy too use them tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Back in the '70's, we used to soak our mullet fillets and bonito fillets in whale oil, to increase the "S" factor and make the baits more desirable to snapper etc. It actually increased the catch ratio by about 60% compared to untreated baits.  Ken Appel had a 44 gallon drum of whale oil in the back room and about that time, it was almost impossible to get, as the whaling industry was well and truly winding down in Australia.  I still have a few jars left, but haven't fished in any club comps for a long time, so it gets little use these days.  I also have a Sportex 663 one piece blackfish rod which is like new, built by Ian Whitton, of D.P Whitton and sons, another early days iconic business in the fishing industry. Good memories.

used to go to kens every thursday night played crib with him as my dad taught me to play closed shop then over the road to caringbah hotel good days them in the 80s member of caringbah anglers meet a great bloke there caled mick we are still mates fished a lot of comps with him lives in narooma now but has done for years

22 hours ago, jimg1au said:

used to go to kens every thursday night played crib with him as my dad taught me to play closed shop then over the road to caringbah hotel good days them in the 80s member of caringbah anglers meet a great bloke there caled mick we are still mates fished a lot of comps with him lives in narooma now but has done for years

Great game Cribbage. Play it daily!