Yes, its a law & a requirement.

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2016/308/part6

123   Circumstances in which lifejacket must be worn on board certain vessels
(1)  This clause applies to the following vessels:
(a)  canoes,
(b)  kiteboards,
(c)  sailboards,
(d)  vessels under 4.8 metres in length,
(e)  an off-the-beach vessel, that is, a wind-powered vessel that is designed to be launched directly from a beach.
(1A)  This clause applies in relation to kiteboards and sailboards only when these vessels are used more than 400 metres from the shore.
(2)  Each person on board a vessel to which this clause applies must wear an appropriate lifejacket:
(a)  when the vessel is being operated between sunset and sunrise, or
(b)  when the vessel is being operated on open waters, or
(c)  when the vessel is being operated in alpine waters, or
(d)  when the person is not accompanied on the vessel by another person 12 years of age or more.
I actually where a jacket anytime I'm on the water...………………. just in case!
Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Yes, its a law & a requirement.

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2016/308/part6

123   Circumstances in which lifejacket must be worn on board certain vessels
(1)  This clause applies to the following vessels:
(a)  canoes,
(b)  kiteboards,
(c)  sailboards,
(d)  vessels under 4.8 metres in length,
(e)  an off-the-beach vessel, that is, a wind-powered vessel that is designed to be launched directly from a beach.
(1A)  This clause applies in relation to kiteboards and sailboards only when these vessels are used more than 400 metres from the shore.
(2)  Each person on board a vessel to which this clause applies must wear an appropriate lifejacket:
(a)  when the vessel is being operated between sunset and sunrise, or
(b)  when the vessel is being operated on open waters, or
(c)  when the vessel is being operated in alpine waters, or
(d)  when the person is not accompanied on the vessel by another person 12 years of age or more.
I actually where a jacket anytime I'm on the water...………………. just in case!

That is why most boats are listed as 481 or above.

Hi kingie_chaser

The vessel is over 4.8m length, therefore the above does not apply.  But I followed your link and read the sections above and below what you posted.  The bit about children under 12 need to wear a life jacket made me think, when I go out with my 7 year old, I make him wear a life jacket.  To avoid the argument, whenever I ask him to wear a life jacket, I put one on too, therefore maybe I should just put in on.

What do they say, nobody ever died from wearing a life jacket?

Mark

15 minutes ago, Welster said:

I only wear mine when I’m legally required to or when I think the situation requires more caution.

Obviously it is better to have one on and preferably with a PLB attached.  

No issue with wearing one when crossing a bar or otherwise legally required to wear one.

I had a situation recently when we anchored up in a bay for the night and a flogging storm came in.  Anchor dragged twice and we decided we had to head for a safer location. It is one of the few times I have gone, lets put life jackets on, just in case.

My bout is 4.49m. I fish solo most of the time. I wear an auto inflatable jacket at all times offshore and at all times fishing solo. It’s second nature now. I’m not so good at remembering to clip the safety lanyard from the ignition key to my jacket, or belt loop, however... when I do, I forget I have it on and move around the boat and shut the ignition off!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I legally put mine on every time I head through the bar, if solo it's really no inconvenience to leave it on, especially given I can often be 40k offshore.

Heres a good tip for anyone, especially centre console or those who drive standing. Rather than put the kill switch cord around your wrist, which I find often hooks around the throttle or steering in fast full turns etc, try putting around your leg closest to the kill button. This way your hands are completely free and you forget you are even connected up.

7 minutes ago, JonD said:

I legally put mine on every time I head through the bar, if solo it's really no inconvenience to leave it on, especially given I can often be 40k offshore.

Heres a good tip for anyone, especially centre console or those who drive standing. Rather than put the kill switch cord around your wrist, which I find often hooks around the throttle or steering in fast full turns etc, try putting around your leg closest to the kill button. This way your hands are completely free and you forget you are even connected up.

I clip mine onto my belt loop closest to the kill button and, yes... I do forget I’m connected up... which is what I hate about it! I forget it’s there and I move around the boat to do things, adjust the troll lines, grab some gear or grab the rod after a strike... and I kill the damn engine! 😂

• Like 1

I always wear a hip life jacket when fishing solo. I also throw out my bow line when fishing wider in the EAC so if I go in I can grab the rope before the boat gets away from me.  A few years ago I was jigging a bait school for Albacore in winter when a humpback gave my 5m tinnie a good nudge. I was at least 10NM offshore would have been in real trouble if my boat flipped & no life jacket on wearing winter gear

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I clip mine onto my belt loop closest to the kill button and, yes... I do forget I’m connected up... which is what I hate about it! I forget it’s there and I move around the boat to do things, adjust the troll lines, grab some gear or grab the rod after a strike... and I kill the damn engine! 😂

Ive done the same but wearing shorts I always feel aware its connected to my leg without it it being annoying.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JonD said:

Ive done the same but wearing shorts I always feel aware its connected to my leg without it it being annoying.

I’ve actually thought about making a longer lanyard that allows me to move around a bit but will still kill the engine if I go overboard.

19 hours ago, Fish_More said:

What do they say, nobody ever died from wearing a life jacket?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Actually I think it was more along the lines of "Wearing a lifejacket never ruined a day on the water".

I would disagree with this (I'm being pedantic for the fun of it today - I really do believe in safety coming first).

As per rules and safety I always had multiple life jackets on board the boat and was pulled up by Maritime shortly after the change to make wearing them compulsory when out on the water alone on a small boat. It was Middle harbour and my swimming abilities are such that the distance to any nearest shore was a comfortable swim. The Maritime were kind enough to advise me of the rule change and asked my to put on the life jackets. They were the rectangular type and while suitable for their purpose were not particular practical for fishing. In fact it annoyed me so much I got off the water and as such it did ruin a day on the water.

I have a kayak life jacket which is far more erganomic but I only use that on the kayak. Since then I acquired an inflatible PFD which I use for solo sessions or rock fishing.

Slightly more morbid -  I believe a few years ago that a number of boat people died after wearing dodgy life jackets which were made with mattress foam which absorbed water rather than provided floatation. The people who ran this con must be seriously messed up.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

Life jackets are getting more conveint, comfortable and not as bulky. The type 100 self inflating PFDs are great plus they have all the bells and whistles (literally). 

One thing I advise is always connect the safety cord where reasonably practicable.

1 minute ago, Welster said:

I have never felt like I had need for the cut out lanyard.    But for those that do I am pretty sure there is a wireless version available that might be an option. 

A wireless version sounds interesting. I’ve started wearing the lanyard mainly only at cruising speeds, figuring when trolling, I’m less likely to fall out of the boat!

18 hours ago, Welster said:

I have never felt like I had need for the cut out lanyard.    But for those that do I am pretty sure there is a wireless version available that might be an option. 

Yes how ever when things go wrong they go wrong quick, I recall one time with work driving a RHIB around and the coxswain became a Man Over board after hitting some idiots wake, very very lucky he was wearing the kill cord. They are a pain in the ass but they can save a passengers life, especially if people cant react straight away to shut the motor down.

1 hour ago, JA1990 said:

Yes how ever when things go wrong they go wrong quick, I recall one time with work driving a RHIB around and the coxswain became a Man Over board after hitting some idiots wake, very very lucky he was wearing the kill cord. They are a pain in the ass but they can save a passengers life, especially if people cant react straight away to shut the motor down.

Agree it’s the one common theme you hear in boat accidents how quick it all went wrong and how little time people had. 

Edited by Welster