Jackets & braid

Gabm

Hi Radiers,

Recently, I’ve been losing leader sometimes but often braid. to what I assume is leather jackets (we sometime bring them up).

Is there anything that can be done, other than moving to a new spot?

Does anyone think there are any colours less likely to be bitten off? My green seemed to survive more often than white & colour change?

Thanks

Ive had major problems with them for that last few years down here in the south over snapper grounds. Colour change braid seems to get hit from close to the surface on any colour. Going back 30 years we used to use single strand wire before braid, Im seriously looking into using that again. It doesn't take many lures or micro jigs to add up to $200 fishing with my daughter (10 each+ the respelling of braid after each trip). Im sure tackle suppliers breed leather jackets and release them in their millions!!!

• Haha 2

Steel line or wire trace from the boat to the bottom. 😆 Try changing spots.

The bastards will chew through anything when in plague numbers, so nothing is safe. 

Possibility of a plague of them turning up off Sydney this winter, as many small chinaman jackets now in Port Hacking for the first time in 5 or 6 years.

As I stated in another thread. I made up a couple of paternoster rigs using 0.8mm stainless steel M I G wire with small 14 long shank hooks, just put a tiny piece of prawn or any form of bait just on the tip of the hook and you will catch your bag limit in 3-4 drops. Be careful not to touch any part of your line with your hands after handling bait, I use a baitcaster reel so I don't have to touch the line when dropping the bait.

Frank

• Like 1

Problem is, a decent Leather Jacket (the yellow ones) can bite through wire, I have had a 4/0 Suicide hook bitten in half by one that I had in the boat, getting ready to take the hook out!

I just now but the wire  paternoster rigs and use these for all my fishing and just change the hook sizes to suit either reef, sand or leather jackets.

I have not found that these have effected my numbers when fishing with mates using mono  paternoster rigs.