Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning out from Lilli Pilli.

Found a few more reddies and a bream - pillies, squid and salted mackerel strips were the baits. A lot of smaller reddies chewing up the baits as well.  Around sun-up, the squid baits started to disappear very quickly to pickers, so I tried for jackets and caught some. The 2 chinaman jackets were just big enough to keep, and there were quite a few small ones that were thrown back. The chinaman jackets when cleaned later were full of large chunks of squid, so that is where my squid baits were going. No yakkas to be caught, not even a pilchard jumping anywhere.

Was heading for home when I saw a large number of pelicans and seagulls splashing about in South West Arm, so I headed up for a look. The birds were feeding on a school of anchovies over one of the little sandy sections, the water was clear and I could see the bottom. I chucked out a lure, 10 gram metal in dark blue and hooked up straight away, a jumping salmon. Over an hour or so, I pulled out 6 salmon, all about the same size of a bit under 50cms. All released.

Quite a few follow-ups of the lure. Best result was to retrieve the lure just under the surface with it occasionally breaking the surface. The salmon disappeared after a while, so I looked in the very shallow water, still plenty of anchovies there and the sandy bottom was glittering with a large number of small shiny scales, so the bait fish were copping a flogging from the salmon. Surprised that there were no tailor in the mix, and I did see 1 frigate zoom past the boat but nothing else.

fish.jpeg_192.thumb.png.7e7ac74bdd54f5f13403c6423ae5e1b6.png

• Like 2