Nambucca Heads V Wall

James  Clain

Artived at nambucca heads two days ago and fish all yesterday.

Midday high tide produced 7 bream ranging from 15 to 41 cm caught on chicken using 10lb mono and the 41 on a whole pilchard using 30lb fluro.

Later last night fished the evning high tide looking for tailor and a possible king using whole pilchards. First cast I thought I had snagged the bottom and after a few minutes of trying to get it out the drag on my reel started moving. Tried for 2 hours slowly gaining and loosing line from what was probably a ray (any ideas) and then it broke off, thr line was really wrecked near the break off. 

All the fishing was done at the end of the v wall at the river mouth.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Welster said:

That first session was a cracker.

Sounds like a ray or something, I wouldn’t have the patience for 2hrs of that unless it was running hard. 

Yea he did 3 pretty goodish runs, it was more the want to discover what It was that kept me trying to get it in.

9 minutes ago, James Clain said:

Yea he did 3 pretty goodish runs, it was more the want to discover what It was that kept me trying to get it in.

I know that feeling when the curiosity keeps dragging you in, 

Yeah I'd say a big ray.

I've hooked big ones off breakwall before and you cant stop them. They will suck back down onto the bottom as well and will feel like its snagged up.

I recently saw someone hook what I assume was one in Swansea channel. The fight started about 200m from the bridge and it dragged the small tinny into the bridge, I don't know how the didn't sink as the boat was bashing off the pilons with a big tide running, they backed out  with the water lapping about inch under the top of the boat, they were lucky and only lost the ray as it rubbed on the bridge otherwise it would have towed them for miles