where to troll offshore around the north side of the northern beachers

James Guy

Hi everyone I have started to get into trolling offshore for larger fish as I have had no luck fishing Pittwater for the last 4 months . I went out on Sunday and trolled from palm beach headland to Avalon beach and stayed at around 50 m from the headlands and had no bites intill the north headland of whale beach and hooked up to about 18 Australian Salmon using skirts and had heaps of fun as I started with overhead rods hoping for some larger fish but than only got small Aussie salmons as the biggest one was 65 cm so changed the rods to my 2500 reel and 4000 reel and had heaps of fun using the smaller rods. But I'm looking to catch more kingfish and tuna species so I'm wondering where some over spots for those fish are without having to go 20 km of shore as I only have a 14.5 foot Tiny that has a 30 hp 2 stroke so need some more fishing spots that aren't to far offshore or have some good success on hooking up. I am also wondering what lures i should try out to catch tuna like bonito, black fin and yellow fins and also lures to troll for kingfish.

Thanks all information and help is much appreciated.

According to reports I’ve read, the yellowfin at the moment are WIDE offshore, in say, 1500 fathoms. Too far out for me in my 4.5m tinny with 60hp. I think it’s been many, many years since yellowfin have been caught in close with any reliability. Back in the early ‘80s, there was an area near Montague Island, Narooma, called “Yellowfin Alley”, that regularly produced ‘fin. I hooked one there trolling a Konahead on 10kg mono in a 14ft Quintrex. Lost it just under the boat after a 3 1/2 hour fight that finished off the shelf, 15 miles or so out. I’ve never seen a bigger fish up close in my life, since! I had an encounter with a stray ‘fin about 20kg in the South West Arm of Port Hacking in about 1983 but I believe to get them now, you have to go WIDE.

Not sure what you mean by “black fin” but I assume you mean “bluefin”. They are also more likely a wide option.

In closer,  you should be able to find longtail tuna, mack tuna, frigate mackerel and bonito. I used to do OK on bonito, trolling the headlands from Barrenjoey down to Whale Beach and I’d pick up tailor, salmon and the odd kingfish, too. My favourite lure for this type of fishing is a Rapala XRap Magnum 15+ in ghost colour. The old “redhead” minnow is also good. Xmas tree lures are also quite successful but I lean more towards the XRap. I troll at 5.5-6 knots. If you want to specifically target kings, try slow trolling live baits with a downrigger. The longtail? I haven’t got one yet but live baits are probably the best bet.

Edited by Berleyguts

In Summer/Autum usually plenty of bonnies, rat kings to be taken in close at Whale/barranjoey. If you want decent fish get into the white water and please be aware of where the rockfishos are- some ledges like The ovens and Nth whale have guys throwing metal lures a long way. If you want bigger kings get livies and a downrigger, as for  tuna - you may get lucky and get a longtail - ive caught yellowfin in close but the last one was over 20 years ago, otherwise get on a big boat and get wide- i think you will find blackfin are a US species not found in oz. Winter time is mainly good for salmon or tailor

Thanks plethora for the coordinates I'll give them a go next time I get out.

Thanks Berlyguts by what your saying it seems like I'm fishing the right spots just need to try different methods like you have suggested and hopefully have some luck as I have picked up heaps of Aussie salmon on the skirts but the fight is no where near as fun as a kingy or even a Bonito but better than nothing. 

thanks PaddyT I have figured that I'm gonna have to wait till summer to start getting some good fish and ones i can bring home to the family. And I'll have to try the down rigger method with the live yakka. 

Cheers Helped Heaps 

• 2 weeks later...