Slow jigging whilst drifting - sounder confirmation before drop?

anthman

Hey guys, I really want to crack slow jigging - i've seen videos based in Asia and videos in our local waters. What I'm unsure of is do you guys wait till you see solid arcs before dropping? If so, what are some tips to get the jig as close to the Mari as possible? E.g. I imagine throwing the jig a bit behind the boat to offset the distance created by the drift...

Thanks guys!

Anyone? I did ask Sammy hitzke on his YouTube channel, he suggests that he drops only when he sees fish on the sounder. Would be keen to get more insight and discussion from FR members! E.g. technique, zoom etc...

33 minutes ago, anthman said:

Anyone? I did ask Sammy hitzke on his YouTube channel, he suggests that he drops only when he sees fish on the sounder. Would be keen to get more insight and discussion from FR members! E.g. technique, zoom etc...

I don't think that's a good idea. The big advantage of slow jigs is that you don't need to work hard - even just leaving the rod in the holder while drifting will give enough action to the ichicu slow jigs. Also when I am catching snapper and other reef fish they usually don't show up on the sounder.

Caught plenty of Snapper with nothing on the sounder, I usually have one rod in the rod holder with a metal jig, and use a plastic as well, the rod in the holder catches plenty, I think we get all hung up with technology these days.

Yeah I hear ya - I've caught some decent fish whilst the sounder looks barren - an interesting video I recently watched was about traditional 200hz sonar vs sides and - the cone of coverage from traditional sonar being quite narrow  compared to side scan (downside being that side scan will have a very wide range, but fish will only come up as tiny blips given how long fish are in the scan for.).

I wonder how many of those empty sounder readings were just because the fish were outside the cone, some food for thought!

There are also fish that sit right on the bottom - one with the ground until they strike.