10 or 15hp for Polycraft Tuffy

Yes

Hi all, 

My first post about what will be my first boat!

I’ve narrowed the boat down to the Polycraft Tuffy - the new model in the more fishing oriented set-up than the Tuffy Tender. This will be its primary use - Fishing in and around Parramatta River and associated bays in Sydney (catch and release, of course!)

The dilemma I have is which motor and what size. I am leaning toward the Yamaha F9.9; the way I have to store the boat means portability of the motor is a big factor. At 40kg and carry handles back and front, along with the ability to lay it down in the boot for transport, is ideal. Going up to the 15 adds an extra 10kg, around 50kg total, and from what I can gather no lifting handles. I’ll be mounting/unmounting the motor after each use, often on my own.

A review on BNBFISHING has provided a lot of specs on running the Tuffy with the Yamaha 9.9 and the Yamaha 15. The top speed isn’t too different, but the 4000rpm mid range speed is about 4km/h slower in the 9.9 than 15. Without much experience in boating, not sure how to interpret this? Is top speed key, or cruising speed, both? The reviewer of the BNB article actually stated the 9.9 may be the more versatile power option. I’m not looking for face tearing speed, but where I plan to put the boat in will always be a bit of trip to where I intend to fish, and don’t want to invest and find the 9.9 isn’t the best tool for the job.

I’m open to other brands; I note the Honda has a longer warranty and they talk up their alternator - this may or may not be important - but I’d like to run a fish finder in the future so Honda’s claims about battery charge etc may be pertinent.

Any recommendations would be welcomed, as would any advice!

cheers.

How do you intend to get the tuffy to the water?

More horsepower would always be better except for carrying 50kg around, hopefully the carry isn’t to far with either weight.   Maybe some kind of trolly would work?

The tuffy will be on a trailer... And the carry distance of the motor will only be from the boot backed to the boat for mounting. Otherwise, yep, on an outboard trolley stand.