Pumping Bait

Guest Sea Jay

Guest Sea Jay

Just a general question

I am looking to pump up some pippes and thing on holidays over christmas i have never done it before so i was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions of what to look for when selecting a spot, technique and equipment.

I was going to head down a buy a pump this week.

Any help would be appriciated

Ahh Pipis. This is easy. Wouldn't even bother with a pump. find a spot where the water is slowly residing in after a wave typically about half to a mtere in from the where the wave ends. Stand facing east and twist. you will feel them with your feet ad if you wait for the wash to reside you should also see them rolling along.

Hawks nest beach has them.

I don't know aout boat locations but if you search the forums there was plenty of land based spots suggested a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

Guest Sea Jay

Ahh Pipis. This is easy. Wouldn't even bother with a pump. find a spot where the water is slowly residing in after a wave typically about half to a mtere in from the where the wave ends. Stand facing east and twist. you will feel them with your feet ad if you wait for the wash to reside you should also see them rolling along.

Hawks nest beach has them.

I don't know aout boat locations but if you search the forums there was plenty of land based spots suggested a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

Is there any sign that i should look for to say if they are there or not??

Guest Sea Jay

Thanks Mate

Also at hawks nest there is the main surf beach and another beach called jimmy's which is a bit like the beaches at brighton le sands on botany bay, it is a bay not open water, are the pippes and worms found there as well or are they only on the main beach.

I have heard that it is very hard to catch the beach worms is this correct. The only method i have heard of is to use a stinker and catch them by hand.

Can you suggest any other methods??

I've never found pipis on Jimmy's though i'm sure worms may exist I purchase some from the local bait store. I have spent a whole day landing and releasing whiting from 25 - 35 cmm. great fun for a lazy day.

I'm not sure of specific signs to look for when twisting for pipis. It really is in plague proportions. Start at the south end it has never let me down.

Cheers,

Hi Sea Jay

As far as the worms go, the ONLY way to catch them is with a stink bait, although you can use special pliers instead of fingers if you want (pliers are much easier and only about $8 per pair).

I've never encountered worms on a beach unless it is open to the ocean - they like some wave movement on the shore to help move food around (but then I don't think I've ever really tried on a beach inside a bay - so it might be worth a go). Personally I would go straight to the main surf beach if you want to chase worms.

But Sea Jay, I must warn you, catching beach worms is a fine art that takes many years to perfect. You are unlikely to actually catch any on your first couple of outings - the best advice I can give you is to BE PATIENT. Get the jaws of the pliers around the worm's head early but dont close the jaws until the worm is arching its back in readiness to pull a piece of the stink bait back under the sand.

Also, if you see anyone else worming - go and watch them. I only learned by being friendly towards other wormers who were usually more than happy to let me closely watch their technique.

If you can't get any worms then go for the pippis instead - pippis are as good a bait as worms, they just come off the hook really easily.

Mondo

Thanks Mate

On a lower part of the tide, we used to se little bumps in the sand in the dryer sand.. each bump was a pippi...

Generally if you walk in the water, do the twist and get nothing, then move 40 metres down the beach and repeat... hawkes nest beach is loaded with them.

Cant help you with the worms I am afraid.. they are just too quick for me!!!

Guest Sea Jay

Thanks fella for all you advise i will give it all a go when i get up there and let you know how it went in the new year!!

Thanks again