worming

chris b

Good day guy

I would like to try my hand at catch  beach worms    Up my way from Hargraves  to  Budgewoi  beachs  Central cost 

Do any of them beach's  produce  good worms   What have you found to be the best bate for them   Any tips will not go astray  

Thanks  guys

11 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Anything smelly for a swing bait  pilchards in a mesh bag like a laundry bag works well  u can use pilly in panty hose for a finger bait or pipi

Hay RICK what is the best beach for worms  I will not take them all

Edited by chris b

Almost all beaches have worms, they are not easy to catch for a newcomer, make no mistake about that, YouTube might make it look easy! just look for a beach that pretty flat, not steep to the water, look for fine sand, not shellgrit, and try at low tide, I find them hard going in winter, and even harder when it's windy.

50 minutes ago, noelm said:

Almost all beaches have worms, they are not easy to catch for a newcomer, make no mistake about that, YouTube might make it look easy! just look for a beach that pretty flat, not steep to the water, look for fine sand, not shellgrit, and try at low tide, I find them hard going in winter, and even harder when it's 

THANK Mate what makes them so hard to catch

1 hour ago, chris b said:

THANK Mate what makes them so hard to catch

If you touch them even a tiny bit, they will just zip back under the sand, even if you manage to grab one, getting them out of the sand is tricky too, but, first you have to raise one, then try and get the hand bait down in the waves and keep the worms head up, have you ever tried before, or just watched a movie?

5 hours ago, noelm said:

If you touch them even a tiny bit, they will just zip back under the sand, even if you manage to grab one, getting them out of the sand is tricky too, but, first you have to raise one, then try and get the hand bait down in the waves and keep the worms head up, have you ever tried before, or just watched a movie?

Just watch moves mate

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I can catch them with fingers  but my advice would be buy  graphite worm pliers   they have bumps on the jaws not spikes like the old ones and dont kill the worms   alvey brand best

ust

OK, if you have only watched movies (that make it look easy) you are in for a shock, best bet is just do it, over and over, do you know anyone who can catch them? if so, ask them to come along and show you. Worming in the summer is good fun, and very rewarding when you actually catch a few.

2 minutes ago, chris b said:

Can some one give me a step by step way on how to catch these thing

it some thing I have all ways wanted to do

Thanks guys

Chris

It's a bit hard to type how to catch them, but here goes, first off, as mentioned earlier, look for the right spot on the beach, at near low tide, you need some bait (old fish frames or similar) in a bag on a string, will you have a helper? if not, have a stick on the string, so you can push it into the sand to hold your bait bag, so you can concentrate on the worm, as the waves run back, swing the bait bag back and forth in the shallow water and keep an eye on the sand as the water goes away, you will see a little head pop up, looking for food, now keep an eye on that spot, have your helper hold the string, or shove the stick into the sand, get your small hand bait, I like Pippie or Squid, and wave it on the shore side of the worm as the next wave recedes, hopefully it will pop up again to grab it's lunch, keep the bait close and the worm will attempt to bite a piece off, as it arches to do so, you pinch the worm between your fingers (hopefully) if you get lucky, just hold it for a second and you will feel it kind of relax as it tries to get a better grip on the sand to zip back down, that's when you pull it out! They are lightning fast, anything at all touches them, they just vanish, if that happens (it will) move on and keep trying.

5 minutes ago, noelm said:

OK, if you have only watched movies (that make it look easy) you are in for a shock, best bet is just do it, over and over, do you know anyone who can catch them? if so, ask them to come along and show you. Worming in the summer is good fun, and very rewarding when you actually catch a few.

Thanks noelm  no mate I do not know  anyone that catch them up hear

May be one the guy up hear will offer

Just as a side note, there is lots of stories about how to keep worms, like Metho and stuff, I find if you just put them in a small plastic bag, with a tiny bit of seawater, then into the freezer, they defrost like new.

Edited by noelm

18 minutes ago, noelm said:

It's a bit hard to type how to catch them, but here goes, first off, as mentioned earlier, look for the right spot on the beach, at near low tide, you need some bait (old fish frames or similar) in a bag on a string, will you have a helper? if not, have a stick on the string, so you can push it into the sand to hold your bait bag, so you can concentrate on the worm, as the waves run back, swing the bait bag back and forth in the shallow water and keep an eye on the sand as the water goes away, you will see a little head pop up, looking for food, now keep an eye on that spot, have your helper hold the string, or shove the stick into the sand, get your small hand bait, I like Pippie or Squid, and wave it on the shore side of the worm as the next wave recedes, hopefully it will pop up again to grab it's lunch, keep the bait close and the worm will attempt to bite a piece off, as it arches to do so, you pinch the worm between your fingers (hopefully) if you get lucky, just hold it for a second and you will feel it kind of relax as it tries to get a better grip on the sand to zip back down, that's when you pull it out! They are lightning fast, anything at all touches them, they just vanish, if that happens (it will) move on and keep trying.

ok between witch fingers Noelm

I use thumb and index finger, but, do what suits, I tend to try to get my fingers either side of the worm, just in the sand, and as it comes up, just pinch hard and hope! It's tricky, but good fun, maybe not this time of the year, but during summer it good family fun.

22 hours ago, noelm said:

I use thumb and index finger, but, do what suits, I tend to try to get my fingers either side of the worm, just in the sand, and as it comes up, just pinch hard and hope! It's tricky, but good fun, maybe not this time of the year, but during summer it good family fun.

22 hours ago, noelm said:

Thank you for your time mate You sound like a good fisher man and a  great gentleman   

Chris

Chris, 

I do a fair bit of worming at your mentioned beaches. 

Its good that you caught the bug and want to give it a go, but can i suggest you wait till summertime? It takes a fair while to get your first worm (is a bit like riding a bike), and nothing saps your morale faster than watching worms continually slip through your fingers while you are freezing cold. Having said that, i worm year round when im up there and im happy to show you the next time im there. 

I use my fingers and my technique is a bit different so i wont go into too much detail as i know all different information can confuse (and frustrate) a newcomer to worming. I actually find it a lot easier to catch worms with fingers than with pliers (plus i believe that with pliers, any escaped worms have a smashed up head which essentially means that any worms you may have missed might be dead soon!). 

Good luck with it! I might be up there i a few weeks if you are still keen!

22 hours ago, chris b said:

Thank you for your time mate You sound like a good fisher man and a  gentleman   

Chris

I am by no means a great wormer, but I get enough, and love doing it in the summer, it also helps that I can just walk to the beach in about a minute from my front door! 

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

Techniques do vary, I was very lucky to have been shown years ago by an expert how to get them, but, it's still not easy, every wave seems bigger than the one before, every worm pops up, then not again, they will nip a bit off your bait a vanish into the sand, it's got me buggered how fish catch them with their mouth when we have bait bags, pliers and two hands and still have trouble! My mate that taught me was a fantastic wormer, he would just walk down, wave the hand bait for a second and pull a worm straight out, I fool around and get soaked by waves, tried kneeling down at one time to get more steady, still doesn't work!

30 minutes ago, SquidMarks said:

Chris, 

I do a fair bit of worming at your mentioned beaches. 

Its good that you caught the bug and want to give it a go, but can i suggest you wait till summertime? It takes a fair while to get your first worm (is a bit like riding a bike), and nothing saps your morale faster than watching worms continually slip through your fingers while you are freezing cold. Having said that, i worm year round when im up there and im happy to show you the next time im there. 

I use my fingers and my technique is a bit different so i wont go into too much detail as i know all different information can confuse (and frustrate) a newcomer to worming. I actually find it a lot easier to catch worms with fingers than with pliers (plus i believe that with pliers, any escaped worms have a smashed up head which essentially means that any worms you may have missed might be dead soon!). 

Good luck with it! I might be up there i a few weeks if you are still keen!

PM SENT TO YOU THANKS

35 minutes ago, noelm said:

I am by no means a great wormer, but I get enough, and love doing it in the summer, it also helps that I can just walk to the beach in about a minute from my front door! 

How good is that mate