Drennan float or feeder reels

woy woy col

Hi all

Could I get some information about Drennan Red Range float or feeder reels my thoughts are that I could use it for luddick fishing rather than a centre pin reel I may even use it for carp as well.  I can get one from Great Britten for $70 aust derived

woy woy col  :)

They are 19.95 pound which is about $45 oz dollars so you are paying a bit for freight. Much better choices locally and as for rear drag reels I try to stay away from them. Had several in the past and none stood up to any sort of rough treatment, but this is just MY opinion.

PS I do like the little plastic indicator that plugs into the end of the spool that donates what line you have on it. But that's the only thing I like about them over any other cheap reel.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

:)

Hi KB I have been using centre pin reels for years, about six years I started using a small rear drag spinning reel  and this is the reason why. 

On most reels have a catch on the skirt of the spool a lot of fishos think it’s just to stop the line from unravelling and it may well be, but when I want a short cast against structure I simply do a trial cast and then pull maybe a pull a metre extra line off the spool and clip it into that little plastic clip that way with a bit of practises you can drop your rig up against structure or such like

This is not my idea watched it on youtube under course fishing tect they have developed the reels for this purples and that the is reason why  and besides I may well be the only kid on the bloke with a Drennan Red  float reel.

woy woy col

Edited by woy woy col

10 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I watched a couple of utube clips on them but they didn't show too much.

What's the difference between them and an ordinary, rear drag spin reel?

Thanks for your reply GH I have just put in my reply to  KB   and like I said for $70  I may be the only kid of the block with a Red Drennan float reel.

woy woy col :) 

If you are after a top rear drag sping reel then look at a Shimano Exage. I have 2 and they are excellent. They also have an adjustable Fighting Drag making them in effect a rear lever drag spin reel. The pick is the 2500 RC size. Great reel. They come with 2 spools as well and are very well made. 

IMG_20190902_174153.jpg

Edited by TAZ

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:34 PM, TAZ said:

If you are after a top rear drag sping reel then look at a Shimano Exage. I have 2 and they are excellent. They also have an adjustable Fighting Drag making them in effect a rear lever drag spin reel. The pick is the 2500 RC size. Great reel. They come with 2 spools as well and are very well made. 

IMG_20190902_174153.jpg

Hi Taz thanks for your reply,  I am very interested in  Shimano Exage 2500 RC  do you use this reel for black fishing as well. 

I  have been using a small Penn 440ss  matched with a CR 110 FT 4 rap. I have been using this rig for about 5 to six years prier to this I used centre pin  reels with a BF 4 144 on the rocks but I gave the rock away getting to old that now I am in my seventies.  Just out of interest the centre pin reel  was made in the tool shop at the BHP in Newcastle in about 1965.

regards woy woy col:)   

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:19 AM, frankS said:

They are 19.95 pound which is about $45 oz dollars so you are paying a bit for freight. Much better choices locally and as for rear drag reels I try to stay away from them. Had several in the past and none stood up to any sort of rough treatment, but this is just MY opinion.

PS I do like the little plastic indicator that plugs into the end of the spool that donates what line you have on it. But that's the only thing I like about them over any other cheap reel.

Frank

Thanks for your reply Frank I think I will get the small sharmo bait runner

woy woy col  :)                               

8 hours ago, woy woy col said:

Hi Taz thanks for your reply,  I am very interested in  Shimano Exage 2500 RC  do you use this reel for black fishing as well. 

I  have been using a small Penn 440ss  matched with a CR 110 FT 4 rap. I have been using this rig for about 5 to six years prier to this I used centre pin  reels with a BF 4 144 on the rocks but I gave the rock away getting to old that now I am in my seventies.  Just out of interest the centre pin reel  was made in the tool shop at the BHP in Newcastle in about 1965.

regards woy woy col:)   

Hi mate. No I fish mostly freshwater. That drag is a fantastic system. You can up it or lower it without taking your hand off anything else with just your little finger on your rod hand. Fish goes to make the last second charge off before landing, back the drag off instantly, no fumbling or letting go of the handle. Fish suddenly heads for a snag, up it instantly to stop it. I've caught some big trout on mine up to 4kg and it was magic to be able to have upped it to stop one heading for a semi submerged tree, then instantly back it when it went crazy coming to the net.