What is the comparison to a 300 size spinning reel to a 2000 size spinning reel please help

JamoDamo

Hi Raiders, Do any of you guys know the equivalent of a 350 size reel to say a 1000-2000 size reel, just curious because i am trying to find a cheapish but good reel for my blackfish rod. Should i get an alvey or just stick with threadline?

Thanks, JamoDamo

First off, do you mean a 3000 not a 300? If yes, the 3000 has a deeper spool for more line capacity over a 2500.

From your previous threads I think you're just starting out and IMO a 2500 size reel is a good place to start for general estuary species and will suit most rods. If using it for blackfish with mono line a 1000 will give you headaches with line memory as the spool is a very small diameter.

A Shimano Sienna or Sedona are a popular entry level reel which if looked after will serve you well for many years.

If you have your heart set on a  Alvey sidecast blackfish reel, get one quick. Alvey have recently stopped producing them, but there's still a few around in some stores.

Another good tip is to take your rod into a good tackle store and ask the staff if you can try a few reels on it and see which one you are most comfortable with.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Green Hornet is right on the money.

If you don't want to pay Shimano prices. I suggest  Okuma 3000  or a Fin-Nor 3000  both great spin reels at a good price.

Dinga our sponsor has Fin-Nor at good prices.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

I mean 300 size Green Hornet not 3000. Theres one at big w that i might get that has 8lb main line for the blackfish/whiting rod which i think would be a good starting point. I read the only review on the reel and it said that said that it was a great reel and that they had caught kingfish,barramundi and heaps of bream,whiting and flathead.

Thanks, JamoDamo

• Like 1

If that is the reel savit I think I would be saving my pennies a couple months longer & getting something better quality that you will still own in a few years.

Just my opinion. 

Also I have noticed a bit of a difference in size of reels by different manufacturers 

You would think say a 4000 reel would all be the same size but they are not!

14 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

I mean 300 size Green Hornet not 3000. Theres one at big w that i might get that has 8lb main line for the blackfish/whiting rod which i think would be a good starting point. I read the only review on the reel and it said that said that it was a great reel and that they had caught kingfish,barramundi and heaps of bream,whiting and flathead.

Thanks, JamoDamo

My mistake mate. There are so many brands with different sizing its hard to keep up these days.