Trolling motor mount fabrication costs

anthman

Hi all, I have a stabicraft 1550 that I'm looking to get a trolling motor mount fabricated and fitted.

I've gotten two quote that place only the fabrication, weld and paint to be over $1k - now I know it depends on the boat and circumstance but I was curious to see if anyone has had this done and what prices they could get.

I'm Sydney based, if that helps.

Thank you all!

10 hours ago, rozza_b said:

Honestly that seems expensive to get a bit of welding done and some basic fabrication, i got my whole live bait tank fabricated and installed into the back of my boat for under $500, what are they actually making up ?

Agreed! I'm keen to get referred to any Sydney based shops that have done good work in the past...

Are you talking about cutting and re shaping bow rails to suit and making quick release brackets etc, OR are you talking a simple platform to sit a electric motor on. There is quick easy jobs OR there is complicated time consuming jobs. What have you been quoted on The quick job OR the complicated job.

I could make a bracket to sit electric on for under $500 fitted but I don't do painting any longer, I was a spray painter in my younger days but my lungs have collapsed so I can't go anywhere near paint fumes these days.

Frank

• Like 1

Dont know what front of stabi is like, but there is a fabricated platform on ebay to suit most alloy boats for about  $130.  My mate got one and only cost another  $100 to have it welded on.  He then painted it himself.  I'm thinking of going the same way.  Ron 

On 9/25/2019 at 12:48 PM, frankS said:

Are you talking about cutting and re shaping bow rails to suit and making quick release brackets etc, OR are you talking a simple platform to sit a electric motor on. There is quick easy jobs OR there is complicated time consuming jobs. What have you been quoted on The quick job OR the complicated job.

I could make a bracket to sit electric on for under $500 fitted but I don't do painting any longer, I was a spray painter in my younger days but my lungs have collapsed so I can't go anywhere near paint fumes these days.

Frank

Fair point -  would include cutting bit of the rail and welding a platform for the quickrelease bracket to be screwed/bolted into.

On 9/30/2019 at 4:37 PM, campr said:

Dont know what front of stabi is like, but there is a fabricated platform on ebay to suit most alloy boats for about  $130.  My mate got one and only cost another  $100 to have it welded on.  He then painted it himself.  I'm thinking of going the same way.  Ron 

good idea - i think id have to ask around to see if the machine shops are willing to weld on and paint using a pre-fabricated platform provided by me (i would think the risks around fit, making it work etc... might come into play)..

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this helps you...A version of what the guy has on eBay - I had this plate made from 3mm stainless 316 bolted to the boat and then the motor attached to it. Cost me nothing (sorry I know that's not helpful) but it's just a piece of plate steel with then edges bent to give superior rigidity.

TC.

20190421 Motorguide 1.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 1.36.01 pm.png