Dropping by Sydney for work and might have a day or two to fish

adept1

Hi everyone!

I'm coming to Sydney soon for some work and I'll probably have a little time for some land-based fishing. Can anyone suggest any fairly convenient and safe, yet productive spots to do some shore-casting, shore-jigging, or even baiting? Since I'm traveling I will only have a couple 4-piece rods in the 6+ foot range. I can fish jigs, hard lures, soft plastics, bait, whatever. Some advise would be greatly appreciated. My hotel is close to Darling harbour, but I don't mind traveling up to an hour from there on public transport.

Thanks guys!

Darling harbour has some massive bream but they say its private property and you can't fish there but it's not true. Use Hots chips as bait and you'll get into some monsters 40cm plus if you are lucky which there are many! Just go in the early morning at 4am and fish till the security guards get there. You can also catch kingfish and whatever is there on pier 9 in Darling Harbour good luck!

6 minutes ago, JamoDamo said:

Darling harbour has some massive bream but they say its private property and you can't fish there but it's not true. Use Hots chips as bait and you'll get into some monsters 40cm plus if you are lucky which there are many! Just go in the early morning at 4am and fish till the security guards get there. You can also catch kingfish and whatever is there on pier 9 in Darling Harbour good luck!

Mate i went there early one morning and fished just outside the maritime museum and a security guard came and said that i can fish over the other side of darling harbour and up around the sydney wharf apartments(i hooked up to a solid 35 cm+ bream but i lost it right beside the boardwalk, on a zman grub), i would say just straight away go outside the maritime museum next to the submarine (big bream hang around and they are fat because everyone feeds them),until you get kicked out and just be polite and move along to the board walk up around the sydney wharf apartments, look on the inside edge of the boardwalk, fairly shallow and if you see one cast away from it and try not to spook it (there are usually some just sitting under the boardwalk) hope this helps

Narrabeen lagoon is pretty good for flatties on Soft Plastics and good for bream on chicken, also whiting get up on the flats there, one of my mates got a 85 cm flatty on a Daiwa double clutch

I have caught plenty of bream there and flatties on blades

Just recently i got a 30 cm bream and a 37 cm flatty both on chicken

And you can eat them from there!! :) 

3 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

Thanks JamoDamo. Actually I did exactly that a few years ago when I was there. I caught plenty of bream, but none that were so big. I can't remember what bait I was using - might have been cut squid. I just googled, but was not successful - what is Hots chips?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, THEJET said:

Mate i went there early one morning and fished just outside the maritime museum and a security guard came and said that i can fish over the other side of darling harbour and up around the sydney wharf apartments(i hooked up to a solid 35 cm+ bream but i lost it right beside the boardwalk, on a zman grub), i would say just straight away go outside the maritime museum next to the submarine (big bream hang around and they are fat because everyone feeds them),until you get kicked out and just be polite and move along to the board walk up around the sydney wharf apartments, look on the inside edge of the boardwalk, fairly shallow and if you see one cast away from it and try not to spook it (there are usually some just sitting under the boardwalk) hope this helps

I think I've fished here too (near the wharf apartments)! Is it near where some private yachts are docked? Looks to be labeled Pyrmont Bay on the map. Thanks - you guys are super friendly!

Edited by adept1

5 hours ago, THEJET said:

Narrabeen lagoon is pretty good for flatties on Soft Plastics and good for bream on chicken, also whiting get up on the flats there, one of my mates got a 85 cm flatty on a Daiwa double clutch

I have caught plenty of bream there and flatties on blades

Just recently i got a 30 cm bream and a 37 cm flatty both on chicken

And you can eat them from there!! :) 

Oh I like the look of this spot! Will hit it if I have time. Thanks!

1 hour ago, adept1 said:

Oh ok... Do chips stay on the hook well?

They don't have to stay on the hook, all the big Bream there simply scoff chips thrown in by tourists, there is no "fishing" involved, just put a chip on a bare hook, no sinker, and toss it in, I have caught some very big Bream on chips at Mooloolaba many times (and a few secretly at Darling Harbour) not too sure if it's legal, I can't remember seeing any no fishing signs around the place. 

1 minute ago, noelm said:

They don't have to stay on the hook, all the big Bream there simply scoff chips thrown in by tourists, there is no "fishing" involved, just put a chip on a bare hook, no sinker, and toss it in, I have caught some very big Bream on chips at Mooloolaba many times (and a few secretly at Darling Harbour) not too sure if it's legal, I can't remember seeing any no fishing signs around the place. 

So which spot has the cheapest chips in Darling Harbour? :) :) A few years ago when I was fishing there, sometimes security would roust me, but it was no big deal really. I would just politely move on and that was the end of it.

Mate Sydney is very populated and lots of fishos so no real secret spots all the beaches have fish and almost anywhere in the harbour. Just join the other anglers you are bound to see. Under the coat hanger produces but I have not fished there good luck.

On 9/26/2019 at 4:50 PM, adept1 said:

Thanks again everyone! What size of hooks are recommended for the Darling Harbour bream. I've got 1/0 and 2/0. Pretty sure 2/0 is too big, but not sure if 1/0 is also a bit big or not.

I tend to lean towards 2/0 suicides or circle hooks for general estuary fishing, as they will handle pretty much whatever’s about. However, if targeting bream in Darling Harbour specifically, I’d lean towards 1/0 or 1. I once caught 3 nice bream on chicken breast strips that I saved from a cook your own BBQ at the Craig(?) while I was on a supposedly romantic weekend away with the missus. The dinner was included in the deal, so I saved a bit of chicken and caught them while watching the fireworks! I’m in Schitney for the weekend too, but I won’t be fishing!

Edited by Berleyguts

On 9/27/2019 at 3:14 PM, Berleyguts said:

I tend to lean towards 2/0 suicides or circle hooks for general estuary fishing, as they will handle pretty much whatever’s about. However, if targeting bream in Darling Harbour specifically, I’d lean towards 1/0 or 1. I once caught 3 nice bream on chicken breast strips that I saved from a cook your own BBQ at the Craig(?) while I was on a supposedly romantic weekend away with the missus. The dinner was included in the deal, so I saved a bit of chicken and caught them while watching the fireworks! I’m in Schitney for the weekend too, but I won’t be fishing!

Thanks man! Maybe I'll pick up some size 1 as well. Last time I fished Darlng Harbour I was using raw chicken. Seems like the bream are not very discriminating, so maybe I'll try some other random stuff too.

Is Compleat Angler the only shop within walking distance of Market Street area? I googled a bit and didn't really find anything else nearby. Not a bad shop, just looking for some variety.

I've been doing a bit of fishing at night around Pyrmont.  Just about 2 hours combined so far. Got a few bream on French fries and a tailor on chicken. I can't help thinking prawns might work better? Should have some time to explore Sunday and Monday.

For me prawns have been a great bait to use, constant bites the fish love it right now. Experiment with your baits, with chicken I marinate it with soy sauce and oyster sauce and I leave it in the fridge overnight before my trip. Works a treat with all the scent. You can also use minced garlic and marinate it that way with a spoon in a takeaway box and then lace it onto the hook and put a half hitch over the top. Hope this helps good luck mate!

JamoDamo

5 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

For me prawns have been a great bait to use, constant bites the fish love it right now. Experiment with your baits, with chicken I marinate it with soy sauce and oyster sauce and I leave it in the fridge overnight before my trip. Works a treat with all the scent. You can also use minced garlic and marinate it that way with a spoon in a takeaway box and then lace it onto the hook and put a half hitch over the top. Hope this helps good luck mate!

JamoDamo

Do you see the difference in catches between garlic and soy/oyster sauce?

1 hour ago, savit said:

Do you see the difference in catches between garlic and soy/oyster sauce?

I haven't had much of a chance with minced garlic but I have heard its a gun bait for big bream. It usually works quite good and stay on the hook forever good for murky places. Also remember as I said in another post work you bait back to you every so often with a crank of the handle as the fish might think it is plastic etc but the scent should increase your chances of getting a fish. Hope this helps.

JamoDamo