Yamaha 8hp outboard throttle cable

Jbrace

Hey everyone , 

I recently purchased my first little Tinny with a 8hp Yamaha outboard (not sure of year but older model ) now when I bought the boat it had some idling issues so I cleaned the carby out completely and adjusted the fuel to air mix plug and the idle revs screw (I've owned dirt bikes before so the process was almost the same hence how I knew to do it ) and now it has run absolutely perfect the last few times ive taken it out , starts first pull and idles smoothly but it seems to me the throttle arm isn't allowing me to get to maximum speed , as if the cable could be loose or something?  I'm no boat mechanic but is it possible the throttle cable that goes up to the arm is a bit loose or something not allowing me to achieve maximum throttle, the reason I think this is because when I put the throttle arm to maximum and then I give it a little bit more force the boat does start to go faster as if there is more revs but the arm won't allow me to get there and also I've been in a few mates tinnies and there little 5hp motors feel like they get to a higher maximum speed .

It doesn't bother me as it runs fine anyway and it's just to get me to fishing spots not racing haha but I was just wondering for people who are boat mechanically minded, is there any logic to my theory of the cable ? 

Thanks in advance ! 

The only way to check is to look through the carburettor and make sure the throttle butterfly is fullly horizontal. You can do this by turning the throttle to maximum throttle then remove an cover at the carburettor inlet opening look through and make sure butterfly is perfectly horizontal. If not then an adjustment is required. Possible by cable or linkage make sure there no broken or missing rollers in linkage or cable could be stretched.