does anyone have any sucess downrigging lures ?

jack1993

Hi guys fairly new to downrigging but have recently bought a scotty downrigger and have had a few tries at trying to land a kingy (without much sucess) on one around sydney- mainly botany bay and the harbour. i usually spend a bit of time in the morning trying to catch bait and  sometimes i am unable to get any yakkas or squid so i was wondering if anyone on here downrigs lures ? any advice would be great.

cheers 

Definitely can use lures, the only factor is the type used to the trolling speed.

People downrig with lures in salt & fresh water.

If it were me I would avoid large bibs if your planning to have a faster troll speed but its a matter of trial & error with what you select.

Edited by kingie chaser

I was out on Friday with a mate who wanted to test out his new outrigger.  We were trolling live yellow tails off palm beach and landed two rat kings. One on a down rigger and one on a ball sinker. Speed was around 5km/h i think. Just in gear. I think you could also use a squid lure with a garfish attached to it. Try to pin it in such a way so that it doesn't spin with you are trolling it.

good luck