Fishing rods on planes? Need help -

JamoDamo

Hey Raiders, 

In the near future I am heading up to qld on a holiday to the sunshine coast where I know has pretty good fishing option available. I am flying on Virgin Australia and I have looked the requirements to take them up: They say I have to take it in a pvc tube with two screwable caps on both ends and the max length for my tube must be 3m. I rang the customer support number just to clarify what it had to be just to double check and the woman said it had to be 1m long (the rods that I am taking are longer than 1m halved into two pieces)  contradicting what it said on the site. I am lost on what to do and just need some advice on what to do. I have read the other posts on fishraider but I still have no idea what to do. I know that I have to have the rest of my baggage such as terminal tackle and reels have to be in my bag with my clothes in it. Sorry if this question is a bit vague but I am just absolutely clueless on what to do.

Thanks heaps guys 

JamoDamo

Yes it's annoying when you get conflicting information, be sure and get the details of who gives you different details.

Not sure if the budget allows for it but I purchased a travel rod for a trip that I ended up having to cancel but have been very impressed with its general do all capabilities. It casts small lures beautifully targeting salmon and tailor from the shore and is more than capable flicking lures from the boat.

_JDP5331.jpg.9a8feb2e9caa2093f466756cd31dd41f.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg.dd98dcbe57324b4ad43fc94509f1dacc.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg.4c742dc78e4c78bbc90f3444f82fb66b.jpg

• Like 2

Had lots of experience on this, make triple sure you get the correct details (depending on the aircraft, usually Sunshine Coast is quite short limits) there is no margin for error, if it only mm over, it doesn't go, it will be shipped later on a different flight, been there and done that. There is a good option, as long as you have someone at the Sunshine Coast end, send it by courier before you leave, it won't cost much and save you the drama, I have travelled there many times with rods, and the airline check in is ruthless on length and weight, also gear in any carry on luggage needs to be checked if it's OK, some tackle (like knives obviously) are not allowed.

• Like 1

I made my pvc tube to fit my 2 piece rod disassembled, so it’s only an inch or two longer, maybe 1.2m, if that. (It’s a 7ft rod, so 2.1m assembled). It went everywhere with me around Australia and on flights. A few years ago, I bought a Shimano T-Curve 3 piece travel rod. It fits inside my large suitcase (on an angle) and performs quite well. In fact, it’s my main lurecasting rod when fishing plastics for snapper or flicking lures for bonito and mahi-mahi. It certainly makes life simpler when travelling! 😉

PS.. Get the airline requirements for your specific journey in writing.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2

The length varies depending on actual plane type although 1m seems exceptionally short are yo sure she wasn't talking about normal luggage, anything over 1m is usually classified as oversize 

For a 1m limit only real option is to get a travel rod

• Like 1

Thanks heaps everyone! I think if I go fishing again on a holiday i'll buy a travel rod so I can transport it easily, She said 1m was the most I could have it so I guess I just buy a cheapie jarvis walker rod for the week should suffice as I have done it before when I went up there before.

JamoDamo

• Like 1

From the Virgin site: (https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/plan/baggage/oversized-fragile-items/)

I think that as long as you book a second bag and put it in a PVC tube, less than 1.8 metres, you'll be fine. That said, I guess it would be a bit nerve racking to get there and be told a different story.

Maximum Limits

Oversized baggage can be checked in, provided each piece does not exceed 32kg in weight. Guests with oversize baggage may call the Guest Contact Centre on 13 67 89 before arriving at the airport.

Note: Please distribute weight equally between bags when travelling with multiple bags.

Virgin Australia’s fleet includes a number of different aircraft types, all of which have slightly different operational limitations that affect the weight and size of the baggage they can carry.

Aircraft Type Maximum Length
A330, 737, Embraer 3.0 metres in length
ATR72 1.8 metres in length
A320 9.8 metres in length (depending on the flexibility of the item)
F100 6.0 metres in length (depending on the flexibility of the item)
Edited by antonywardle

I can assure you, Jetstar on an A320 will not allow rods over (I think) 1.2m, been caught twice, and they are ruthless, I think it's all about the luggage boxes, they are just a limited size and cannot be accommodated.

Edited by noelm
Typo