Beach Fishing

muscle_17

Hi,

im interested in getting into Beach Fishing, mainly for Salmon.

I would prefer to use Raider Lures instead of bait..but if bait will produce as good results or better, ill use it too.

Would just like to know what beaches are best to fish for salmon etc, im in NSW, i live around liverpool. so driving 1-1.5 hrs north or south doesnt bother me much.

What size raiders are also best to use, and what period of the tide?

Thanks fishos

Edited by muscle_17

Im no expert with fishing lures on the beach but if i was to give it ago i would be looking at something in 60grm + range and depending on what size line you are using a bit of weight helps to get it out the back especially if the winds onshore,maybe try and get a raider the size of a pilchard??

I have caught salmon on all tides but the higher the better i reckon.0

.im sure someone has given it ago with some success???

Rob

Hi,

I would prefer to use Raider Lures instead of bait..but if bait will produce as good results or better, ill use it too.

Would just like to know what beaches are best to fish for salmon etc, im in NSW, i live around liverpool. so driving 1-1.5 hrs north or south doesnt bother me much.

Thanks fishos

Hi Mate ,Give GARIE BEACH a try in the Royal National park it fires for salmon and tailor regularly mornings and mid arvos into the evening are always good on the beach .Try pillies first and if you get onto the fish use your lures :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hi,

Thanks fishos

Hi mate,

I've caught my best Salmon (up to 3kg) off the Collaroy/Narrabeen beach stretch. The 2004 season was a beauty with the fish hanging around for a long time. 2005 has been a dud!! :ranting2: (A lot of people are saying this is due to the water temps which have been very low for too long.)

I have personally caught more Salmon with pillies + ganged hooks, than with lures off the beach. When I use lures I stick to larger Spanyid maniacs, which have worked a treat. Believe me, your arm will hurt after an hour of constant casting and retrieving! :wacko:

To my experience depending on the beach conditions, casting lures can be difficult if the wind is blowing at you, or if there is a lot of white water and messy waves dumping in the area you are fishing, hence I go for heavier metals (this exact size eludes me right now!! I'll check) to keep the lure action consistent.

I prefer the 2 hours leading up to and after a high tide. Then again, if the gutter is deep enough, the sambos can be there all day long. I've caught sambos in the middle of the day testing out new gear.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Spizza

I've only used ganged pillies for salmon off the beach so far, but I think I'll give the metal slices a go soon, when the conditions suit that style of fishing.

In years past I have seen a few people use small slices of around the 10-20gm mark like the Halco Twisty's with shorter spin rods. The only thing is you'll need a gutter that's fairly close in. Looked like a lot of fun on light gear though. If you're going to use a beach rod for this, then the larger metals would cast better, or if the gutter is a fair way out from the shoreline.

I can't help you with any Sydney locations, but there's a few beaches up here in Newcastle that are holding schools of salmon and tailor at the moment if you're up for the extra bit of driving, about 2 hours from Sydney. Stockton is probably the pick of them all.

Good luck with it, and hope to see a few in a future report. :thumbup:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Hi Muscle_17

I support what others have said on this board.

Spinning the surf blind can be bloody hard work. It's much better if you see fish working baitfish close in and cast near the school. This happens on many beaches a couple of times in a good year, and if you happen to be there, you'll have a ball.

Most times however, you'll find fishing unweighted or lightly weighted pilchards on a set of three ganged 3/0s a better proposition.

Usual beach rod and reel combinations work best with 40gn to 60gn lures. You can cast lighter lures on threadline outfits but with overheads the extra weight of heavier lures helps. If the fish are really active, pretty much any chrome lure will do the trick, but raiders are close to the best.

Up my way on the Central Coast, Kilcare, McMasters, Avoca, Terrigal, Wamberal, North Entrance and Pelican Beaches can all be good.

The fish can turn up at any time, but I've found the Autumn months (March, April and May) most reliable and best, as there tends to be big migrations of fish northwards, and surf and weather conditions are often suitable at that time of the year.

On higher tides fish the edges of sandbars, as the tide falls concentrate more on the holes.

It's usually far more productive fishing early morning and evening, but if big schools of salmon and tailor are working baitfish schools close-in then time of day doesn't really matter.

Hope this helps.

Edited by kenmare

• 4 weeks later...

hi

there are a few places to try, garie beach is one of the best, and also the rocks at the north end of the beach, its a pretty good platform but only fish it in small to medium swell. I personally use 4 hook gangs of mustard 4202's and make up my own. the extra hook sometimes will not make it into the bait but left swinging free will also grab the tailor that like to take off the tails. if you want to try the rocks as well pm me and i will give you some good locations as before i got the boat all we did was rock and beach

cheers steve