Baitcaster suggestions?

Will Wright

Hey Hey, Ive recently started fishing freshwater mainly for Redfin and Murray Cod. The spots I fish are usually quite snaggy which is perfect for m.c the problem with my spin outfit is that I can’t accurately get to the snags to catch those Murray cod. The thing I’m trying to get at is if it is worth buying a baitcaster reel for that extra bit of accuracy? (I’m on a bit of a budget) any suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated!

Will

you can start with a cheap jarvis walker scorpion combo for about $50 or go to an abu garcia for around the $100 mark, id suggest the later, as the abu is metal spool and seems to have less problems, in saying that the scorpion is cheap and works.

56 minutes ago, Will Wright said:

I really have no idea of prices for baitcaster rods and reels

On the reel spend tge most you can afford, if it's only for freshwater use something like a shimano caenan or an abu blackmax they both go for under $200

Otherwise practice with your spin outfit cast at a bucket over and over, baitcasters take a lot of practice to master and with modern spin gear and good quality braid you can  get just as good accuracy from spin gear, I use baitcasters for the stopping power for fish like jacks

What suburb do you live in ? , IF you are close to Berala / Lidcombe you could drop into visit me and I could let you use and practice with a couple of Baitcasters. I would run you through the basics of adjusting and using the reel, it's easier if you are shown the right way in person rather than try and teach yourself. You will develop bad habits which are hard to get rid of . Half the skill in using a baitcaster is learning how to adjust it correctly. Starting with putting the line on. I could have you casting reasonably accurate with a couple of easy lessons, the rest is up to you with practice, practice and then some more practice till you are good enough to get that lure where you want it.

Frank

• Like 1

@Will Wright

I'd take @frankS up on that offer, wish i had someone to teach me about bait casters when i got my first cheap one to mess around with years ago.

If you really want to get into bait casters i'd suggest using one first before buying, they can be quite a pain when they birds nest, i'd take frank up on that offer or anyone else who is willing to teach or let you have a play around.

Or if you do buy one, put a light sinker on or hookless lure and practice in a soccer field or your backyard before going out and using it so you can feel and practice your accuracy, i learnt by putting small pellet sinker on and firing it into a bucket over and over and over until every cast i got it where i wanted.

Baitcasters have been topic which have come up recently. It could be a good excuse for a Fishraider get together and a chance to learn basic and advanced baitcaster techniques. A bit like the Soft Plastics lessons organised a few years back.

I'm self taught (plus YouTube and talking to people) several years ago but would love to see how others use them.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I learnt from the best in the business, my old mate John Bethune. He was aussie champ a few times and for memory was world champion runner up, could be wrong with that one but I do know I was taught the right way.

I am as rusty as can be these days as I don't even hold a rod in my hands for months on end and very rarely get to use the baitcasters these days, but still I think I could pass on some very worth while lessons for a beginner.

Frank

• Like 2

If you’ve got your heart set on a Baitcaster then you really need to commit to it and practice using it/get out and use it as often as possible.

I’ve been using them for 20years and I still have my frustrations - it’s part and parcel so expect to run into issues every now and then.

My tips:

- Get the best reel you can afford 

- Rod isn’t as critical but try to get something with a medium action and not get anything too floppy, you will have a lot more control over your casts.

- Start out with braid, it doesn’t have the memory you get with mono so won’t want to birds nest due to it coming off the reel “curly”. But get a smooth braid so when you do birds nest (and you will) they’re easier to remove

- Look up and watch as many videos as you can on spool and cast control adjustment (wish I had access to this stuff when I was starting out at 15yo)

- Start with heavier weights/lures, as you get better you’ll find you can manage light weights. I now cast anything down to 4g with ease

- When casting overhead keep the reel handles pointing upwards - think about how gangsters shoot a gun holding it sideways (best way I can think to explain it)

Successfully using a baitcaster is to me, one of the most rewarding achievements. Nailing accurate casts between branches, up against the face of boulders, and tight under undercut banks is such a good feeling, and after all that is where the fish are.

Good luck!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, frankS said:

What suburb do you live in ? , IF you are close to Berala / Lidcombe you could drop into visit me and I could let you use and practice with a couple of Baitcasters. I would run you through the basics of adjusting and using the reel, it's easier if you are shown the right way in person rather than try and teach yourself. You will develop bad habits which are hard to get rid of . Half the skill in using a baitcaster is learning how to adjust it correctly. Starting with putting the line on. I could have you casting reasonably accurate with a couple of easy lessons, the rest is up to you with practice, practice and then some more practice till you are good enough to get that lure where you want it.

Frank

Thanks frank I really appreciate the offer but I actually live out of Sydney but Sydney is indeed my most popular spot to soak a line. If I ever get down your way I’ll give u a text but I really appreciate it!

10 hours ago, Squ!rt said:

@Will Wright

I'd take @frankS up on that offer, wish i had someone to teach me about bait casters when i got my first cheap one to mess around with years ago.

If you really want to get into bait casters i'd suggest using one first before buying, they can be quite a pain when they birds nest, i'd take frank up on that offer or anyone else who is willing to teach or let you have a play around.

Or if you do buy one, put a light sinker on or hookless lure and practice in a soccer field or your backyard before going out and using it so you can feel and practice your accuracy, i learnt by putting small pellet sinker on and firing it into a bucket over and over and over until every cast i got it where i wanted.

I have a friend who uses one all the time! He has offered to let me use his for a bit to see how I like them. 

2 hours ago, lastworm said:

If you’ve got your heart set on a Baitcaster then you really need to commit to it and practice using it/get out and use it as often as possible.

I’ve been using them for 20years and I still have my frustrations - it’s part and parcel so expect to run into issues every now and then.

My tips:

- Get the best reel you can afford 

- Rod isn’t as critical but try to get something with a medium action and not get anything too floppy, you will have a lot more control over your casts.

- Start out with braid, it doesn’t have the memory you get with mono so won’t want to birds nest due to it coming off the reel “curly”. But get a smooth braid so when you do birds nest (and you will) they’re easier to remove

- Look up and watch as many videos as you can on spool and cast control adjustment (wish I had access to this stuff when I was starting out at 15yo)

- Start with heavier weights/lures, as you get better you’ll find you can manage light weights. I now cast anything down to 4g with ease

- When casting overhead keep the reel handles pointing upwards - think about how gangsters shoot a gun holding it sideways (best way I can think to explain it)

Successfully using a baitcaster is to me, one of the most rewarding achievements. Nailing accurate casts between branches, up against the face of boulders, and tight under undercut banks is such a good feeling, and after all that is where the fish are.

Good luck!

Thanks! Your info will be very helpful and I like your link to the “gangsters holding a gun sideways”. I’ve always been a spin guy but i feel like (for many reasons!) that a baitcaster would be better suited for this specific type of fishing! 

Thanks

19 hours ago, Will Wright said:

I really have no idea of prices for baitcaster rods and reels

$40 to $1000.

It not usually about what they cost, its about what you want to spend!

When you establish that then you can look in the price range of your budget.

You also have to establish what it is your targeting to get to what set up will be required.

Baitcasters are no different to spin gear in that way, set up for bream you need a 1-4kg rod class & reel to suit like a 150, if you going for barra then you wouldn't use the bream set up, you would need something like a 8-10kg set up with 300/400 reel.

Edited by kingie chaser