Hawkesbury 'n' Stuff 4/12

Guest johblow

Guest johblow

What a top day i had yesterday (sunday). So damn relaxing. I put the "Angus Young" in the water at ATB about 3pm with the objective being to catch fish, as the previous three weekends, i had taken people out and had been unable to conduct serious fishing. Plus the missus was starting to question my ability to catch fish, and therefore my manhood. Something had to be done.

I had sun-down in my sites, given the tides weren't going to do much for me, apart from provide access to a bunch of Jerusalem Bay yabbies - say 30 or so. Im not used to pumping yabbies on me' own, so i tried switching to left handed every now and then - not too hard! Ive had a bit of luck there before with the local pumpings, but not this time, thought every one of the half dozen yabbies i tried got a bite at least. Well, this was a serious adventure, so i was prepared to go anywhere to try and catch fish, but it was also rather unplanned, so 'anywhere' was just where i thought the fish would be. :1fishing1:

I suppose i got to Juno Pt around 1630 hours for the last of the run-out, and did one drift. My theory with yabbies is that if you dont get a bite within a cast or a few, move on. It was interesting to note the dirty water/clean water divide in the main channel before Patonga too - i haven't seen this before, and the dirty water was dirtier than usual, so i guess it was due to the rain. Korogoro Creek at Hat Head does the same thing with tea-tree oil every run-out, and its a good place to fish - though the creek is pretty stuffed nowadays. Anyhow, i ended up drifting around Patonga for a while, and hooked a few squid who terrorised my poor yabbies, and off course buggered off when within coo-ee of me' boat. I also tried the rapids near the creek entry, but to no avail. Perhaps the water was running a bit too fast there?

Anyhow, just on sun-down, and perhaps on the bottom of the tide (well, there was not much water movement) i thought id try the western point around from Patonga. It seemed a likely spot, it looked like it could be deep - and i mean 'looked' because i dont have a sounder - so i anchored up. I turns out that i anchored up just over a small underwater cliff i think, because there were a school of hungry bream down there on the deeper side and i had much more line out than anchore rope. Every time without fail, when the line got to a certian angle, i hooked up, until i had no more yabbies. Because there was stuff-all water running, i was rigged light. Just as well, as the bites were very slight and tentitive at first, but with a gentle lift of the rod tip, wham, they were away. I WAS I HEAVEN!!! It was great. I was broken off twice by something that must have been (by definition!) FARKEN MASSIVE :074: , and pulled in two legal bream, some decent but undersized snapper, some more small bream, a 35cm jew, and some ugly thing that made Kerry Packer look like a sunday school teacher... What can i say, i didnt set the world on fire, but i had a great time, and halfway redeamed myself as a semi-competant fisho with the missus. :thumbup:

Great effort there Joh, The missus must be impressed with that effort , you still are a hunter and gatherer and bring home the goods when it counts :yahoo:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Guest maraudingmado

Good story and I can relate to the questioning of catching fish around that area. Next time I will be moving around to where I think the fish will be not where I am told they will be.

That's gotta be the best fishing report i've ever read!

Straight up story, including a bit of "the one that got away", technical components ("it LOOKED deep") & generally just out for a good time.

Catchin' fish is good, but just gettin' out there is 90% of the enjoyment.

Thanks Jo

Guest johblow

Hey thanks for all the nice comments fellas! I love reading other people reports too - its like being there sometimes. I tell ya, walking to the lunch shop today in the summer air and blue sky i just wanted to do a 180 and walk to the car and go out in the boat hahahaha!!

Guest lbgking

Good report mate. Is that Walkers point you are talking about? It is just upstream from the Patonga inlet? I usually catch live bait there. Maybe I should drop one down next time.

Guest johblow

Good report mate. Is that Walkers point you are talking about? It is just upstream from the Patonga inlet? I usually catch live bait there. Maybe I should drop one down next time.

Hi mate, on the map below i was at Pacific Head, but Walkers point does seem to have a decent sharp descent!! Probably just as good as where i was?

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/lhawkesr_front.pdf