Diesel Outboard 200HP, 400nm Torque

zmk1962

They will need to come down in price a fair amount. I remember seeing a review on a 50hp a while back which was around 3x the price of a 50 four stroke. Yes it had far more torque and better economy as well as longer periods between services but they still looked to be more costly over the expected life of the engine. At the time there was only one place to service them too, which was in Victoria.

They do a 300hp version with 680nm of torque and its 395kg.

https://www.oxe-diesel.com/Portals/0/Images/Produkter/OXE_psheet.300Hp.web.pdf?ver=2019-09-19-161519-747

Or for 20kg lighter you can go 300hp and 650nm of torque with COX.

http://www.powerequipment.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/CXO300-Technical-Specification_2018.pdf.pdf

Not sure how a 3.0L 6 cylinder weighs more than a 4.4L V8!?!

I just found it interesting that this development is being pursued. I like the safety features of low flammable diesel,  the torque and presumably economy but personally not sure I'd want to smell diesel on a boat all day. 

Has anyone ever been on a boat with a diesel outboard?

Cheers Zoran

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

I just found it interesting that this development is being pursued. I like the safety features of low flammable diesel,  the torque and presumably economy but personally not sure I'd want to smell diesel on a boat all day. 

Has anyone ever been on a boat with a diesel outboard?

Cheers Zoran

Would it not be the same as other outboards and exhaust through the prop/under water?   Plenty of diesel inboard motors getting around.

I must say the only diesel powered craft I’ve been on recently have been larger yachts, cross channel ferries etc. lots of separation between passengers and engine room.  

way back in 70-80s we used to hire the wooden putputs which were powered by a single cyl diesel inboard.  But they were full of bilge water diesel fish bits and pretty much on the nose 

so no modern experience with diesel in a trailer boat scenario. 

cheers z

7 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I must say the only diesel powered craft I’ve been on recently have been larger yachts, cross channel ferries etc. lots of separation between passengers and engine room.  

way back in 70-80s we used to hire the wooden putputs which were powered by a single cyl diesel inboard.  But they were full of bilge water diesel fish bits and pretty much on the nose 

so no modern experience with diesel in a trailer boat scenario. 

cheers z

My dream trailer boat is a walkaround cabin with a diesel inboard.  So when I accomplish that dream ill let you know!