Whats your most MEMORABLE day fishing EVER

JAKSShark

Hello all, 

I was just looking at all my photos and i thought for a minute what would my most memorable day fishing ever be??

What would yours be? Was it a PB day or a day you had perfect weather and fish or a day when everyone bagged out etc. 

I think for me it was the day in the harbour when we caught 10 70cm plus kings then that arvo got 4 jewies also flatties and 35cm snapper spread and heaps of bonnies and tailor!! Whats yours????? 

Im sure many of the veteran raiders would have some very awesome days to tell us about

Edited by JAKSShark

It's really hard to pick a single day.

The day I caught my first Blackfish was an early start, I got the last parking spot in the street.

Got back to the car a few hours later, I got a $500+ fine for parking in Disabled.

I learned a lot that day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Hard one. Many memorable days. 4 days gamefishing at Lord Howe Island in 1990. Kings galore.

A fantastic day in January 2000(?)with my wife and then 8 year old son on a sportfishing charter on Sydney Harbour. To see the smile on our son’s face every time he pulled in a bonito, salmon, tailor or king was just so satisfying! Watching a huge school of whitebait the size of a football field reduced in 30 minutes (by aforementioned, bonito, salmon, tailor and kings) to a school about 1 sq metre, scooping up bucketfuls of whitebait from the school for bait and whitebait fritters. Laughing as my son used the angler’s priest on the whitebait, egged on by the charter skipper. 😂

An amazing day in the early 80s, fishing in a 14 foot Quintrex Fishabout off Narooma. Hooked a yellowfin trolling at “yellowfin alley” at Montague Island, lost it at the boat 3 1/2 hours later, 15 miles out. Then we hooked a black marlin on 6lb threadline gear trolling a red and white feather for striped tuna. Lost that after a 30 minute fight. Then lost a huge wahoo at the boat. Also had a brilliant day on albacore to 12.5kg. That day’s hard to beat.

But any day where everything goes right, I get a few fish and I get to enjoy the ocean. 😎

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Hard one. Many memorable days. 4 days gamefishing at Lord Howe Island in 1990. Kings galore.

A fantastic day in January 2000(?)with my wife and then 8 year old son on a sportfishing charter on Sydney Harbour. To see the smile on our son’s face every time he pulled in a bonito, salmon, tailor or king was just so satisfying! Watching a huge school of whitebait the size of a football field reduced in 30 minutes (by aforementioned, bonito, salmon, tailor and kings) to a school about 1 sq metre, scooping up bucketfuls of whitebait from the school for bait and whitebait fritters. Laughing as my son used the angler’s priest on the whitebait, egged on by the charter skipper. 😂

An amazing day in the early 80s, fishing in a 14 foot Quintrex Fishabout off Narooma. Hooked a yellowfin trolling at “yellowfin alley” at Montague Island, lost it at the boat 3 1/2 hours later, 15 miles out. Then we hooked a black marlin on 6lb threadline gear trolling a red and white feather for striped tuna. Lost that after a 30 minute fight. Then lost a huge wahoo at the boat. Also had a brilliant day on albacore to 12.5kg. That day’s hard to beat.

But any day where everything goes right, I get a few fish and I get to enjoy the ocean. 😎

Now thats some days to remember😯👍

Lord howe is on the bucket list

• Like 1

I couldn't pick A SINGLE BEST DAY so I'll relate some of the many memorable days catching fish.

Fishing with my late father in law at Corner Inlet in Gippsland, Victoria. We launched at Port Welshpool and headed out to "Singapore Deep". Fishing in 25ft of crystal clear water we caught hundreds of Flathead, two at a time on paternoster rigs. The climax for the day though was my PB Flathead, a big girl of 101cms. An absolute monster of a fish. She, along with most of the others went back to fight another day.

One trip to South Australia to fish on a charter out of Marion Bay produced my two best Snapper in the first two drops. A 92 cms monster followed by a 91 cm model. On that same trip we caught hundreds of Nannygai and King George Whiting...also very memorable.

My first Murray Cod on lure, then spinnerbait was also very memorable. Not because they were monster fish but because they were the culmination of a process. Learning how to use a baitcaster set up, many hours practising casting into a bucket up the back yard. Learning how to read the water in the River and understanding where the fish would be and how best to get them to bite some ridiculous looking lure. The take as they smashed your lure and the battle to keep the fish out of the snags.

Another great memory was the first of many Blackfish which I caught under the guidance of Ryder. An absolute thrill watching the float, in anticipation, as the fish took the bait. The knowledge imparted about the rig, the method and finally the success.

My first Kingfish under the supervision of Derek D. Although not a big fish I certainly learned a lot about how, where, when to catch these powerhouses of the salt water.

Lastly has to be the day when I went down to a well known South Coast beach to fish for Salmon. They were there in numbers and I had a ball hooking up to some very decent fish, almost every cast as whales breeched a few hundred metres away in the bay.

There would be many more that I could relate. However, I'll leave it there and look forward to reading about the escapades of other Raiders.

Thanks for reading, bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had so many over 45 years of fishing it's hard to pick just one.

Dry fly fishing the Moonbah in summer around 40 years ago. Nothing doing with my usual flies so stopped and watched for a while. It was a hot sunny day with a breeze and I noticed grasshoppers I'd disturbed walking alongside the water, falling onto the stream and then twitching their way across the surface back to the shore. Changed fly to a Hopper Hackle; dropped it about 2 metres from the bank then twitched the fly back across the surface and ended up with 5 lovely brown trout.

There's others just as good and better really but, that was the first one that came to mind.

KB

• Like 1