Stingrays

antonywardle

Yes, don't know many chips shops that would have Skate though, Skate is more an English thing, here the most eaten rays would be the Eagle Ray, sometimes called a Bat Ray.

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

I haven’t seen too many reports with people bragging about getting their bag limit for rays.

4 hours ago, James Clain said:

last stingray I caught had the barb flicking around and it looked quite menacing. I'd rather stay away from that barb and go catch myself a pelagic. 

I had a barb go through my hand from a stingray while diving a couple of years ago, which was extremely painful even after it had healed. 

• Sad 1

Skate wings are quite tasty & can be used in a variety of ways depending on the size & what they are from.

Think about it this way similarly to meat, I'm not going to treat 9 month old veal fillet the same as 6 year old steer fillet to score 9 Wagyu beef fillets.

I have cooked small skate like this recipe but I have also minced the flesh of larger versions & made it into a ravioli filling.

https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/browse-all/skate-wings-in-lemon-and-caper-browned-butter-10077

Of course is also makes great fish cakes as well.

You just have to keep an open mind about it's uses like many foods.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

great recipe thanks @kingie chaser

Other than taking the wings off, do you do anything else?

What happens with the skin? 

To be honest every time I have worked with them I have been just given the wings from the fish monger, so never prepped a whole ray.

Skin, don't know, maybe the banjo's would make good banjo's 🙄🤪😏🤨:insane::whistling:…………………………...😂

• Haha 1