Fishing place for starter

NewbieHunter

1 minute ago, PaddyT said:

Sydney is a big place, where are you, what do you want to fish for and what gear do you have?

I’m living around cbd area, but I can travel, not to far though. Looking for bream or snapper and maybe squid as well. As for fishing gear I only own entry level (Daiwa Aird x rod and aggrest reel)

Snapper- not an overly realistic target inside the harbour, Bream-just about any rocky shoreline along the eastern suburbs harbour foreshore and just about every wharf in Sydney-just fish light (as in very small or no sinker) with decent bait-pillies/whitebait/fresh squid strips with a bit of berley. Squid-just about every wharf in Sydney especially at night or early am before too many people around.

• Thanks 1

Welcome, agree any wharf structure for squid at night or dawn use 2, 2.5, 3 size squid jigs. But if u want bream...pretty much anytime off wharf or structure or just a beach and prawns nippers pillies squid etc (prawns is very good for how easy, servo😀)are baits for them just cast and sit in it a holder and wait. Peel the prawn and cut it to suit your hook size, make sure the barb etc is hidden inside the bait. You will get some nice bycatch if you do that. 

If you struggle with rigs and knots tangles etc. Use 8 pound and learn a line to leader knot and just use a sinker running to hook. That is a easy rig for the beginner.

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1