Getting pants'd while snagged

Berrero

Something I've always wondered, potentially has a very simple answer... let me have it...

I fish a very rocky estuary often so getting snagged is no rare occurrence for me. Sometimes when I'm able to get unsnagged and reel in my jighead I've been pants'd (plastic pulled half way off the jighead). Now it would be my understanding that it wouldn't be the plastic caught on anything that would be causing the snag, so what would it be that pulls the plastic off? 

My current leading theory is possibly crabs grabbing a hold of it as the 'snag' and managing to pull it out of its grips pulls the plastic off

what are your thoughts raiders?

Fishing by boat or land based?

Sometimes if Im fishing a couple of rods at once from my boat & I have the SP rod in the holder I have caught Occy & didnt even know really know until I have taken the rod out of the holder.

Squid will also take SP's as well.

I am not discounting crabs but it would have to be sitting in the same spot for a while for a crab to grab it

20 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I would assume your jighead is getting wedged in rocks. When you manage to pull your jighead through the "wedge" its also grabs your plastic, pulling it down the hook.

True to, if thats the bottom I think I'd looking at a different rig myself, something with a float maybe if you fishing from the shore/land, if by boat then a paternoster just lifted a metre off the bottom?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 7:10 PM, dirvin21 said:

Happens to me all the time I think it's the pressure build up in the line letting go and the plastic keeps going when the jighead stops hence slides down the hook

Think we have the answer here. Makes a lot of sense now that I think about it that way.

Thanks all for contribution 

• Like 1