Cowan Creek

chode

Hi all,

Well this is my first post and have to say love the site :1fishing1:

Just wondering if any knows of any good bream spots along Cowan creek?

Planning on heading out Sunday for the first time in awhile and thought I would try somewhere different.

Julian, perhaps it is testament to my lack of fishing ability but i have fished that area for 3 years and have never had a decent catch in Cowan, plenty of Taylor and the occasional Flathead and of course, it is dynamite Hairtail territory. :074::074::074::074::074:

Guest maraudingmado

Only decent fish I have caught out of Cowan was a John Dory. As for dynamite Hairtail territory...not for the last couple of years that I know of. The funny thing is I still love fishing the area as much for the serenity....ahhh the serenity!!!

I have only fished Cowan a couple of times for bream on lures.

The trouble I find with the place is that every shore line looks like it should hold fish. The deep rock shores just scream bream but as we all know they cant all hold fish. There has to be a reason for the fish to be there and I can't pick a difference between one and the other

Ken is on the money here. Ive fished Cowan numerous times both day and night and i can confidently say that it sux during the day. You will still get the odd good fish (flattie, jew etc) but ive found the best period to be from dusk to about 10pm (seem to always get a good fish in the middle of the night aswell) and the crack of dawn (best time by far in my experiences). You will be plagued by undersized reddies during most of the day.

As for spots its a tough call as most of the points will produce fish if you burley however i always like Waratah Bay by night and the Cottage Point are during the day. Remeber to throw out a fresh squid wherever you go as you might just strike gold on a kingie or jew. Fish or no fish, the place is Gods own country.

Good luck.

Edited by jewnut

Done ok on breambos and ep's at Halvo's and Akuna marinas. moored boats in appletree and shoreline of cottage bay. Mouth of Smith's creek and drop offs of any bays on run out can produce some big flatties. The bays at the mouth of cowan where the water is a bit dirtier are better during the day. Overall it can be a fairly tough place to fish but it is a great place to just get away.

I agree it can be a tough place to score bream while it is light. I've seen a few really big uns there (around apple tree bay) around 40cm only a few metres from shore, but they always look really nervous (the water is very clear). The only time of year I have caught decent bream during the day is from Feb to About April, when the water is warm. Apart from that, it's just those pain in the ass baby snapper. I find Cowan is a better place to chase tailor and salmon in the bays at dusk and dawn, must say, I have found them easier than the bream!