Paint repairs after Alloy reaction

jeffb5.8

Hi

on my alloy boat is a couple of places I have the dreaded Paint bubbles, mainly where holes have been drilled.

if I remove the rear seat rear can I reuse these screws or are they a single use item.

0294418C-80CA-4A61-930E-D85B07A0BCB4.jpeg

1E7A9B9A-DDC4-4A45-B011-3D6356DDC188.jpeg

• Like 1

should be able to re-use if the corrosion isnt bad and hasnt chewed the hole out, just make sure you use plenty of tef-gel on them when putting back in after painting

Edited by rozza_b
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, noelm said:

They probably are self tappers, but, providing it's not too badly corroded, they should be fine, can you access underneath to use nuts and bolts?

On the rear cushion I can change to a Bolt and nut set up.

will pull them out and check.

4 hours ago, rozza_b said:

should be able to re-use if the corrosion isnt bad and hasnt chewed the hole out, just make sure you use plenty of tef-gel on them when putting back in after painting

Corrosion isn’t bad just paint bubble

Hi Geoff, 

I have a 5.7 Stacer bow rider.   Within a few months of leaving the factory we had bubbling in similar areas to you.  The dealer inspected it and reported to Stacer who finally agreed to take the boat back to QLD for repair. They wouldn't accept the local quotes got repair which we believe would of been a far superior job and we were willing to be responsible for future issues. 

They rear seat cushion was also split in the corner and replaced under warranty.  It split again but we didn't pursue it because it's obviously poorly thought out and figure a local trimmer will do a proper job. 

The reasoning they gave for the corrosion was during assembly they forgot to apply "grease" before fixing the self drilling screws.   I did ask why they don't use Tefgel or similar and was told it is to messy.   I believe as as soon as they screw through the hull the paint is broken and salt and moisture can get under the paint and it just keeps spreading and bubbling.  The cushion slows down drying keeping the moisture there longer to do its thing. 

Not long after the boat returned we had some reoccurrence  in areas which the dealer arranged a local fix.  

In the end we asked the dealer to leave off all fittings and drilled out all the fixing holes to a larger size, primed and painted them.   We purchased nylon fixings and took our time reinstalling the fittings. Around each fitting we used either sikka flex or Tefgel depending on the  situation.   The problem has been virtually eliminated around those fittings. 

5F31940B-79D1-449F-A37F-BE7E55C65A07.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeffb5.8 said:

How do the nylon fittings work and where did you get them.

Depending on where in the boat but they are countersunk head screws, cup washers, washers under and nuts.   We ordered them mostly from an industrial fastener supplier, and some off eBay I think.   They aren't as strong but no issues in the 4 years they have been in. 

There isn't much room to get the ones in the front bowrider section on the Stacer but we managed.   I think it has two of the original screws in an area with no access under it but we used Tefgel. 

If I wasn't going to use my long I would use stainless nut and screw instead with an oversized primed hole.   And use a nylon washer and sleeve or shrink wrap  and Tefgel. 

Edited by Welster
Added content
  • Like 1