What type of weed is this (blackfish)

SaltyGreek

I found this weed in a small rock pool on the Georges on Sunday. It was long and in strands but it felt like cabbage weed. It was growing on a stick. I’ve found some similar weed before in the crooked river, Gerroa a while ago (can’t remember if it’s the same as this or normal green weed it was like 5 ago). 2EE90413-38FE-4038-B670-C0D117BBC49D.thumb.jpeg.fad55be815c7f96097775a351e21f157.jpegAnyone have any ideas as to what type of weed it is?

If you want to know more about it look up Enteromorpha intestinalis.

I think it’s now actually reclassified as Ulva intestinalis.

sorry I can’t give you a common name - there are so many and I don’t know which names are used locally.

it can grow like fine hair or be flattened - depends on growing conditions such as salinity but all are the same species.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Volitan said:

If you want to know more about it look up Enteromorpha intestinalis.

I think it’s now actually reclassified as Ulva intestinalis.

sorry I can’t give you a common name - there are so many and I don’t know which names are used locally.

it can grow like fine hair or be flattened - depends on growing conditions such as salinity but all are the same species.

Like Volitan said green ulva and excellent Luderick bait. The roots of it are round- if the fish are extra finicky you either break the round roots off or put your hook well down amongst the flat section. Days when the fish don't "go on with" the bite when the float goes down, often you'll get the root section back and the flat section has been taken- removing the root section sometimes makes a big difference

• Like 3

I collected some weed today around 2.5 handfuls for bait and burley as it could become a longish session, tune in for a blackfish report around Sunday or Monday depending on how I go, theres two maybe three people fishing so that explains why I have quite a bit

Edited by JamoDamo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JamoDamo said:

I collected some weed today around 2.5 handfuls for bait and burley as it could become a longish session, tune in for a blackfish report around Sunday or Monday depending on how I go, theres two maybe three people fishing so that explains why I have quite a bit

Good luck! Hope you get into them!

• Thanks 1