First catch for a while

Bryson

After just moving down to Kiama downs I bought myself a new beach rod from Windang bait and tackle, grabbed a few pillies and went down to jones beach in the hope of getting a salmon or tailor. 
Didnt start off very well as my bait was just getting dragged sideways and back to the shore even with my biggest weight on the rig so gave up there and had a Look on maps to see if I could find a more sheltered beach. Decided on Kendall's beach just down the road. Got there at about 8:30. 2nd cast and before I had the rod in the sand I was on. Been so long since I've had a fish putting up a decent fight that I was over the moon with pulling in a salmon. Strangely the rest of my rig below the hook was gone, so re rig and go again little bit of a wait but then another salmon, a fair bit smaller but still great fun. There was a park by the beach so invited the mrs down with my 2 year old daughter. We had a quick picnic breakfast before I'd wind in and take her to the park, managed to get a flattie with them there prob around the 35cm mark. 
All in all a very enjoyable morning on a beautiful beach. 

FCC38FE6-3014-4E14-A6E6-11B8FBCB401B.jpeg

0806E5EF-A341-45C6-93AC-68F94AA22ACC.jpeg

E2A195EB-AA01-4769-89A9-D1B92507A43D.jpeg

60CB7A03-44F6-4FB4-B14F-05D1169391B4.jpeg

• Like 9

Not too sure how experienced you are, so if you know this, please ignore it, when putting your rod in the sand, be careful not to "spear" it in, it's very common for the reel to snap off between the reel and the rod, momentum builds up when you stab the rod down, the rod stops when it hits the sand, and the weight of the reel simply snaps off the thin cast bit, seen it hundreds of times, best bet is to get a bit of plastic pipe that your rod butt fits into, and cut one end at an angle to make a spike and push that into the sand to make a "rod holder".

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Not too sure how experienced you are, so if you know this, please ignore it, when putting your rod in the sand, be careful not to "spear" it in, it's very common for the reel to snap off between the reel and the rod, momentum builds up when you stab the rod down, the rod stops when it hits the sand, and the weight of the reel simply snaps off the thin cast bit, seen it hundreds of times, best bet is to get a bit of plastic pipe that your rod butt fits into, and cut one end at an angle to make a spike and push that into the sand to make a "rod holder".

Yea I keep meaning to get myself some pipe for that exact purpose, just always forget until I'm back on the beach, I'll be gutted if I break my real because I didn't get hold of some pipe Thou. 
never really thought I'd break anything just the annoyance of trying to get the rod down deep enough. but now you've said that I will make sure I do. 

• Like 2