First time Port Kembla

LittleNipper

Hi raiders

headed out to port Kembla for the very first time. Bit worried since it was my first time and I am relatively new to fishing off a boat (1 year now). Was more of a port Kembla maiden voyage to sus out the facilities and getting use to the area

got to the ramp about 6am and it started off slow with only 1 trevally and a lot of undersized snapper 

moved to a different spot which seemed to produce quite well. Ended up finishing the day with 6 trevally (sized between 30-40cm) 1 Taylor, barracuda and a pike 

7C515014-5949-4544-9C8C-787020F63DE7.thumb.jpeg.0a17aeadb060e23e1885085b735333cd.jpeg 

As it was more of a practice day I didn’t pack too heavy on the gear and wasn’t expecting to target any larger species and then this happened.....

Hand line with a patenoster rig and 2 x hooks flies off the gunnel into the water. I make a quick dash for the gaff and just reach the hand line at full stretch. I start to pull but instead it pulls me, I let out a bit line and with much patience I start to see that yellow tail come up to the edge of the boat. I grab the net but it takes me for one last ride and betters me, snapped off. The disappointment was real

i re-rig to target trevally and other bread and butter species and then off it goes again! Flies into the water from inside the boat, this time I thought it was gone. Out of reach from my outstretched arm and a 1.75m landing net, I look over to my little kayak rod and it starts bending, I start to reel it in and realise I’ve actually hooked onto my hand line which has crossed paths with my kayak line. I pull in the line and with a tear in my eye and the feeling of redemption I hype myself up. I pull my hand line and the the fight begins. Unfortunately it ends with a straightened out hook and the feeling of disappointment yet another time :( - this also happened 2 more times. The last time the fish spooled my hand line and broke off

needless to say that I have surly learnt my lesson and should always be prepared no matter what I am targeting. 

Edited by LittleNipper
Spelling error

15 minutes ago, LittleNipper said:

needless to say that I have surly learnt my lesson and should always be prepared no matter what I am targeting. 

I think we have all been there at some point.

Nice work though 😉

Edited by kingie chaser

Just now, Blackfish said:

Good effort LN.

I think your Pike may be a Tailor.

Thanks @Blackfish

the tailor is at the bottom of the photo but just under the barracuda there is a yellow fin pike, at least I think it is. I caught one on the hawksbury and wasn’t sure what it was. I found a post on fishraider of someone else catching the same thing and I think the consensus was it was a yellow fin pike 

Cheers 

Strangely enough, Pike are OK to eat, but most (including me) hate the smell, the scales that fall off and go everywhere, so don't bother, I have eaten them though. The Barracouta is edible too, but, once again, most don't bother, they can be a pest biting off gear all the time.