Bleak day in Broken bay

XD351

Fished the last of the run in and most of the run out this morning drifting over my usual haunts which start at broken bay ( north side between Patonga and lion island and end up at little wobby on the edge of the drop off . I also did a few drifts around juno , gunya and the mouth of Cowan, l fished half pilles  , whitebait and prawns  on a bottom rig ( running sinker rig with 1m of 10 lb fluorocarbon trace 1/0 longshank  ) and another rod with a set of gangs out as a floater with a whole pillie.

Only managed two flatties to 30cm , one reasonable flounder and a banjo ray . All of these were caught up to high tide  in the broken bay possie mentioned above and then the joint shut down . The water is still a bit tea coloured and a bit murky but most of all it is cold - my sounder was showing 15.5 first up and the highest i found during the day was 16.6 . 
Sorry no photos as i knew i was releasing the fish once i saw it ( either undersized or not something i like to eat ) so they were released without removing them from the water .
I spoke to a guy at the ramp and they were fishing flint and steel , they had trouble getting yakkas - he said there were plenty there ( under the pillboxes) but getting them to bite was another thing ! They had a bleak day also - well that’s what he told me and he didn’t clean any fish at the ramp !

The area might need to cook for a month or two until the water starts to warm up!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went on a reccy the other day to find squid spots in the hawkesbury that isn't pittwater, few poddies around Gunya but they were in droves in the bays just up cowan. 

The bait is on the move, my next thoughts are the fish are up the river.

I fished gunya and wobby for sfa.

Entrance to mullet creek gave me a big bream, threw it straight back.. I hate the things.

Water temp is climbing, after the next full moon and we get some big tides she should start firing up.

It looked like the commercial guys were doing it tough as well , never seen them work down into cowan .
I did think about going up river but with the recent rain i thought i would get pestered by catfish . 
I spent a whole Sunday arvo researching the breeding cycle of yakkas , squid , garfish and flathead - while i believe water temps are what really triggers it the general consensus was November to march as the peak breeding time for these fish so its not far off ! For Bream i used to have a simple system M.A.M ( March . April. May ) as the main breeding run or when these fish start to school up to breed anyway . The last two hours of the  small morning run out tides this weekend would be ideal to fish places like the icicles , bar point , neverfail etc for bream as they would be working their way back up river . The upper river has had two big flush outs this year and i’m extra keen to see how this effects the summer season for fish and prawns . Might be a bumper season for mulloway also ! Only time will tell !