Cheap Fishfinder for small tinny

Yes Dear

Setting up a small tinny for bass fishing in small shallow river and want a cheap fish finder for it.

No need for GPS just depth and fish + good screen.

Hook2 5 HDI look OK but seem to be lots fpr sale which concerns me that there may be issues.

Any recommendations would be great.

used is fine but don't want to spend more than 250-300.

cheers

My mate had to return his Hook2 5 splitshot because he couldnt get it to work properly even at very low speeds, he wsapped it for a Hook 5 reveal but dont think he has tested it yet. 

I have a Hook2 4 & its doing a similar thing but not as bad, I am still playing around with the transducer position but think its a smilar thing.

So yes they are running out all the Hook2's because the newer reveals are replacing them but I cant recommend the Hook2's after my & my mates experience.

In saying that I had the same problem with my Hummingbird not working above say 6 to 8 knots & this tranducer is in the same position.

I do have it on a sliding bracket & the other day when I was out I slid it up to a few different heights but it didnt help, just made it worse.

So not sure if I am expecting to much or not but O would think that should operate at a decend speed??

My next step is to try it on the very outside of the transom to see if its just interference from the prop/hull which I know happens.

If that doesnt work I will be retuning it also I think.

Edited by kingie chaser

No probs, I guess when you have provided a budget it wouldbe interesting to see what others say of 1st hand experience on this & other brands in the bracket.

The Garmin Garmin Striker Plus 5cv is just above that budget by $50 on sale so interested to hear if anyone has one of those??

I can only suggest making a list based on your max budget & look at the features.

If you get GPS well thats a bonus, I always think its best to be able to store/mark waypoints even if you dont have mapping in bay or estuary fishing for your own reference.

Edited by kingie chaser

9 hours ago, Yes Dear said:

Setting up a small tinny for bass fishing in small shallow river and want a cheap fish finder for it.

No need for GPS just depth and fish + good screen.

Hook2 5 HDI look OK but seem to be lots fpr sale which concerns me that there may be issues.

Any recommendations would be great.

used is fine but don't want to spend more than 250-300.

cheers

I have a similar one that just provides the basics. It's ideal for the river where I fish for Murray Cod. The Hook range are pretty much the same. It does depth, water temp shows fish and shows the snags etc. As mentioned make sure you get WHAT FEATURES YOU WANT and worry about the price if it's a problem. Good luck bn

Edited by big Neil
more info
  • Like 1

Thanks guys,

the river i will mainly use it in is only 2-3 meters deep with deep holes here and there which is what i need to identify.

heaps of fallen tree snaggs so lots of work on the edges, not much rock structure though.

fish identifying when at trolling speed will be handy.

water temp could be a bonus i suppose.