QUERY: shipping boat from NZ to QLD

Swivelfish

hiya.

I’m trying to find good quality information on costs, taxes etc for shipping a vessel from Auckland to QLD (cairns if possible). I’ve tried endless websites and still don’t really have qualitative info.

Can anyone recommend a freight company who could give me all the costs and manage the freight?

Thankyou!

Boat is a 475 bay ranger caprice, cuddy  on a redco.

D06B9BE5-E192-4CA2-B8F7-0DF9F8D8251B.jpeg

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Why not just buy a similar boat here? probably work out a lot easier.

The OP is from NZ.

Sounds like he has a potential buyer over here & wants to know the in's & out's of exporting costs, imports duties, transport costs etc.

@Swivelfish that is another factor to consider which is import duty.

Not sure how this applies to 2nd hand products from new but probably doesn't matter.

Something you also need to look into.

I have known people who have imported cars here but that's because of either rareity & non availability here of because after all the costs involved it worth their while to save the coin.

That's the challenge.

Unless there is another reason & it's not to do with a sale but then you could still incure duties anyway?

There was a member on here recently who was importing a boat from the USA & waiting for it to arrive.

I'll have a look back for him because I remember talking to him & give you his name & he could give you some details on the regs & potential duties involved.

Edited by kingie chaser

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

The OP is from NZ.

Sounds like he has a potential buyer over here & wants to know the in's & out's of exporting costs, imports duties, transport costs etc.

We have a free trade agreement with New Zealand and many other countries now, so no import duty.

Of course 10% GST is payable on all costs including land transport in NZ, any export costs and shipping cost.

If you are importing trailer you have to apply for import approval for the trailer. When the trailer gets here you have to comply it. As for the boat you need to verify the boat HIN in order to register it.

When the combo arrivers AQIS will inspect it and more that likely will be sent for a wash, costs that you will have to meet.

Taurus logistics will be able to quote on shipping .

I don't know if car carriers dock in Cairns from NZ, I'm sure you can ship from Auckland to Brisbane.

Having imported several boats and cars over the years ( not from NZ, Japan and USA) my advice to you : Don't bother, not worth the effort for a low value boat.

At least do all your sums before you decide and make sure you include the port charges in Australia .

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

We have a free trade agreement with New Zealand and many other countries now, so no import duty.

Of course 10% GST is payable on all costs including land transport in NZ, any export costs and shipping cost.

If you are importing trailer you have to apply for import approval for the trailer. When the trailer gets here you have to comply it. As for the boat you need to verify the boat HIN in order to register it.

When the combo arrivers AQIS will inspect it and more that likely will be sent for a wash, costs that you will have to meet.

Taurus logistics will be able to quote on shipping .

I don't know if car carriers dock in Cairns from NZ, I'm sure you can ship from Auckland to Brisbane.

Having imported several boats and cars over the years ( not from NZ, Japan and USA) my advice to you : Don't bother, not worth the effort for a low value boat.

At least do all your sums before you decide and make sure you include the port charges in Australia .

Thanks mate..yeah it’s a tricky decision....and as you sAy, it might not be worth it, but now I have a company I can follow up with!..and I will!...cheers!

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

The OP is from NZ.

@Swivelfish that is another factor to consider which is import duty.

Not sure how this applies to 2nd hand products from new but probably doesn't matter.

Something you also need to look into.

I have known people who have imported cars here but that's because of either rareity & non availability here of because after all the costs involved it worth their while to save the coin.

That's the challenge.

Unless there is another reason & it's not to do with a sale but then you could still incure duties anyway?

There was a member on here recently who was importing a boat from the USA & waiting for it to arrive.

I'll have a look back for him because I remember talking to him & give you his name & he could give you some details on the regs & potential duties involved.

I’m really grateful for the lead here mate. I’ll be following it up in the morning!

7 hours ago, noelm said:

Why not just buy a similar boat here? probably work out a lot easier.

I’ve been watching prices for a while in oz for similar boats and tbh they’re more expensive than I paid over here, but at least I can weigh up my options now, which is awesome! Cheers