these good batteries for electric motor

M1100S

image.png.8155866e4100ac21e747790ccb59e4dc.png

Are the following a good battery for a electric motor. In the new year planning on getting a motorguide 24v elect motor for the surtees and my mate accidently boat 8 of these for his 48ft cruiser.... but was supposed to get the starting type battery so now he is flogging these off for 200 a pop

I am more concerned about the quality and reliability /longevity of the batteries..... anyone used these, are they good or better off spending the extra to get a known brand like century?

thought and opinions for fellow raiders always appreciated

or if anyone thinks they may need a spare battery i can tell friend... he is throwing up on ebay, only used once

This is the battery I installed in my 4x4 paired with my new aux battery system which is designed to continuously run a 80ltrs fridge, camp lighting etc for 48+hrs before needing recharging.

Haven't had the opportunity yet to fully test it so can't talk about the longevity.

Essentially it's a 4x4 AGM weighing in at 32kg.

When it comes to deep cycle imo led acid & lithium are king, BUT they are expensive!

What you need to look at though is what the draw is on the motor to work out how many AH battery you need, if your only running a motor for say 3 hours at a time then you could possibly get away with a battery half the weight & AH?

Also just remember to get the most out of AGM you should only use 50% of it's actual capacity!

Edited by kingie chaser

25 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

This is the battery I installed in my 4x4 paired with my new aux battery system which is designed to continuously run a 80ltrs fridge, camp lighting etc for 48+hrs before needing recharging.

Haven't had the opportunity yet to fully test it so can't talk about the longevity.

Essentially it's a 4x4 AGM weighing in at 32kg.

When it comes to deep cycle imo led acid & lithium are king, BUT they are expensive!

What you need to look at though is what the draw is on the motor to work out how many AH battery you need, if your only running a motor for say 3 hours at a time then you could possibly get away with a battery half the weight & AH?

Also just remember to get the most out of AGM you should only use 50% of it's actual capacity!

At 32kg's they won't deliver a genuine 140AH.

To gauge the quality of a deep cycle battery you only need to have a look at how much they weigh. The batteries we sell weigh 30kg's for a 100AH and 34kg's for a 120AH. So a good quality 140AH would weigh around 38kg's to 39kg's.

They are cheap for a reason.

6 hours ago, Renegade460 said:

At 32kg's they won't deliver a genuine 140AH.

To gauge the quality of a deep cycle battery you only need to have a look at how much they weigh. The batteries we sell weigh 30kg's for a 100AH and 34kg's for a 120AH. So a good quality 140AH would weigh around 38kg's to 39kg's.

They are cheap for a reason.

It's true that when it comes to battery related products as well as things like solar panels/blankets manufacturers/ sellers can make claims that may not be accurate or true which I think should be illegal to say & the onus is on you to debunk thier claim which of course you can't do until you have already purchased.

I have said it before on 4x4earth that thier should be a body that pre tests any of these products & if passes gets the stamp of approval & if not tells the manufacturer to change thier claim or face the consequences.

Edited by kingie chaser

Thanks for the info guys.... some good informative info i have to consider.

I guess u spend 4-5k fitting out the motor amd mounts etc might as well spend a few hundred more and get a known quantity battery. 

I saw the century 140ah battery is 41odd kg.

What do they say...you learn something new every day

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

It's true that when it comes to battery related products as well as things like solar panels/blankets manufacturers/ sellers can make claims that may not be accurate or true which I think should be illegal to say & the onus is on you to debunk thier claim which of course you can't do until you have already purchased.

I have said it before on 4x4earth that thier should be a body that pre tests any of these products & if passes gets the stamp of approval & if not tells the manufacturer to change thier claim or face the consequences.

There is a body that will provide testing and compliance for batteries. All our batteries are compliant with TS001 a link is attached.

https://www.activfire.gov.au/pdfs/documents/TS-001.pdf