VHF Aerial's

Renegade460

Just about o buy a VHF radio and can't seem to find the specs  (db gain in particular) on either the Uniden or GME aerials.

I'm stuck between getting either a 1.2m or 1.8m aerial.  It will be mounted on the outside of my side console itself. Preferably I will go the 1.2m size. I know in theory the longer the aerial the greater range but his doesn't seem the case as each brand of aerial seems to be constructed differently internally even for the same length.  A 1.2m would also allow my to easily manouver a rod over it.

Does anyone have any comments on VHF aerials, either brands or lengths.

As a general rule, the higher the antenna, the greater the range, you are limited in mounting height, so might be able to compensate a bit by getting a bigger antenna, most antennas are pretty well designed, but vary considerably in their construction. Just as a "real life" example, I have a 2.4m antenna mounted on my T top, my mate has the same radio and antenna, but mounted on the gunnel (open boat) and I can consistently hear and transmit to boats he can't, my antenna would be about 1.5-1.8m higher than his, so height is important.

11 hours ago, Renegade460 said:

Just about o buy a VHF radio and can't seem to find the specs  (db gain in particular) on either the Uniden or GME aerials.

I'm stuck between getting either a 1.2m or 1.8m aerial.  It will be mounted on the outside of my side console itself. Preferably I will go the 1.2m size. I know in theory the longer the aerial the greater range but his doesn't seem the case as each brand of aerial seems to be constructed differently internally even for the same length.  A 1.2m would also allow my to easily manouver a rod over it.

Does anyone have any comments on VHF aerials, either brands or lengths.

https://www.gme.net.au/au/antennas/?_activities=boating-fishing

https://uniden.com.au/product-category/cb-radios-scanners/antennas-mounts/