Fishing New Zealand

gutsy

Hi All,

Wife has a conference in Auckland in February and thought about tacking on a trip afterwards.

Clutch can you or the other members recommend a Fly Fishing lodge not too far from Auckland for a few days R&R.

Appreaciate your help.

Gutsy

Hi Gutsy, I cant recommend a lodge as I havent been to one or ever flyfished, however I'd say that down toward Rotorua (3hrs drive) and Taupo (another hour) would put you at fly fishing central for the North Island

Did a quick search and found a couple that would even fit my budget :biggrin2: . There a heaps of fancy ones if you have deep pockets.......dont know how much you want to spend but this first link seems like a great deal

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/accom/creel/

or heres another that is apparently popular with the woman :wacko: ......but as you are taking your wife it may not be a bad choice

http://www.turangi-nz.co.nz/Rainbow_Trout/index.php

I dont think that you can go wrong fishing on the Tongariro :thumbup:

Edited by clutch

Hi Clutch,

Have been surfing and looking at a few. Seam to be either really bloody expensive ($1100 per night) or quite cheap. Nothing in between.

Dont know if I can take fishing instructions from a woman. Have to take instructions from the wife every day.

All the good ones seam to be on the South Island!!!!!

Gutsy, give some thought to Kingies up North in the Bay of Islands. Plenty of history and things to see and do when you are not fishing too.

MH

The more I surf the more I get depressed. A guide is about $500 per day :(

Accommodation at some are $1000.00 per night.

Might just go to the pub instead.

The more I surf the more I get depressed. A guide is about $500 per day :(

Accommodation at some are $1000.00 per night.

Might just go to the pub instead.

Hi Gutsy,

Don't get depressed.

I've been across to NZ fishing many times, and always caught good fish.

Just remember a few simple facts about Kiwis: Most of them are outdoor and fishing enthusiasts, and very friendly and generous when they get to know you.

My suggestion: research good areas to fish (which might have other attractions to interest the wife, if she's a non-fisher), drive into town in your hire car, enquire at the local hotel about accommodation -- or stay at an economical B & B if pub not so good, stroll into the hotel bar and start chatting to the locals about where would be a good place to fish, mention you're a visiting Aussie but really barrack for the All Blacks.

There's a good chance that not only will they give you complete instructions on where and how to fish, and access to water on private property, a local may even take you fishing to show you how to do it.

Go for it!

Regards,

Bob