replacing a guide on a fishing rod ,

hello raiders , so i've got 3 old fiberglass rods  that had broken  guides ,  i have removed the old guides  and replaced them etc,.......im up to the thread filler and sealer stage ,  how many coats of filler  and how many coats of sealer  do i need to put on the thread? also what is the best thing to use   to keep the paint brush clean in between coats and  at the end , eg  turps?  (this is what im using by the way bellow) thank you all for having a look and your advice , stay safe.Thread Finishes: Fishing Rod Repair Kit - Single Thread Combo

Agree that it's a waste of time and energy using that stuff, get the Erskine. Did you underbind the eyes ? if so an extra coat is handy. Do you have some sort of rotisserie that will keep the rod turning for several hours ?. 

The stuff you have ( if you insist on using it ) 2-3 coats of sealer and about 15 coats of gloss, keeping the rod turning over slowly while applying and when each coat is drying. Good luck.

Been years since I used that stuff and it should have on instructions what to clean brush with. I use lacquer thinners when using the Erskine . But then I have the thinners on hand and don't need to go to hardware to buy it.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Most modern bindings dont need to be filled.  Check label on binding and look for non fill?  As stated  above, modern 2 part finishes are the way to go but need to be turned frequently by hand for at least two hours.  I bought a cheep battery opperated bbq rotisserie motor which works really well.   Ron 

2 hours ago, dazamcstaga said:

Hi Mate,

Don`t waste your time with that stuff the finish is terrible,

I use Erskine epoxy from the Big Snake store

BP90111413-clear.jpg-SPOTWF-productHero.jpg

2 hours ago, dazamcstaga said:

Hi Mate,

Don`t waste your time with that stuff the finish is terrible,

I use Erskine epoxy from the Big Snake store

BP90111413-clear.jpg-SPOTWF-productHero.jpg

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Agree that it's a waste of time and energy using that stuff, get the Erskine. Did you underbind the eyes ? if so an extra coat is handy. Do you have some sort of rotisserie that will keep the rod turning for several hours ?. 

The stuff you have ( if you insist on using it ) 2-3 coats of sealer and about 15 coats of gloss, keeping the rod turning over slowly while applying and when each coat is drying. Good luck.

Been years since I used that stuff and it should have on instructions what to clean brush with. I use lacquer thinners when using the Erskine . But then I have the thinners on hand and don't need to go to hardware to buy it.

Frank

the rods are  old , about 30  years old   , to give you an idea  if i tried to sell them or  give them away  people will laugh and  say no thanks or worse  , but  i don't care because  they catch as many fish  as any  new rod could   with the way that i fish ,  Speed thread filler and finish will be good enough  ,  thank you for your reply Frank , very helpful .

1 hour ago, campr said:

Most modern bindings dont need to be filled.  Check label on binding and look for non fill?  As stated  above, modern 2 part finishes are the way to go but need to be turned frequently by hand for at least two hours.  I bought a cheep battery opperated bbq rotisserie motor which works really well.   Ron 

thank you ,