Hawksbury Jewfish 14/03/2021

Fergofisher

Went up to the Hawksbury last Sunday night. Not only to have a fish but to clear the head. Ended up trying the usual.. Juno, mid grounds, few of the bridges etc. Hard to find any yakkas or tailor in the average water but had some pre frozen yakkas and squid from a previous trip. Nothing for hours, about an hour after turn of the tide from low to high they came on the chew. All babies up to about 50cm but managed to snag a few. All let go of course, good to see the river teaming with soaps! A couple eels, 1 catfish.. The usual classic weekenders driving full speed a boat length from me which i could only just laugh.

Rods: Ranging 4-6kg 

Reels: Ranging 40-50 sized daiwa

Braid: 30lb jbraid

Leader: 40lb Shimano Ocea

Hooks: Mustad 5/0

Bait: 3 week old frozen yakkas/squid. I did have some prawns but they didn't do the trick, couldn't get freshys unfortunately.

image.png.705b13d024ca3d2bdc06a52260bf1de3.png

image.png.076eb163797577fff9f9818c5f9052d0.png

image.png.a9805f5e12c62db8e89eb0d7f3077319.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2021 at 9:58 AM, Fergofisher said:

Hooks: Mustad 5/0

Bait: 3 week old frozen yakkas/squid.

Great report and photos @Fergofisher, were you fishing whole squid and yakkas, or strips? Two hooks and paternoster sinker?

Nothing like watching the busy world/traffic blast by and be relaxing in the boat, great way to clear the head, and to snag some soapies is a bonus. Keep the reports coming!

Just now, lakelad said:

Great report and photos @Fergofisher, were you fishing whole squid and yakkas, or strips? Two hooks and paternoster sinker?

Nothing like watching the busy world/traffic blast by and be relaxing in the boat, great way to clear the head, and to snag some soapies is a bonus. Keep the reports coming!

Mate all different. Iv caught a lot more bigger Jews on single hooks rather then double, just presents better in the water. 
Squid strips got the little fish going but i usually have at least 1 full out with a single hook pinched in the top of the hood. 

For the yakkas, i usually just butterfly full yakkas with the hook pinned from the bottom jaw through the head of the fish. 

about a metre and a half or so of leader to a running snapper lead attached to a swivel. 

• Thanks 1