Nitro Jigheads

AdamK

does anybody know if the new version of the Nitro jigheads are available.

I was told that it would be a stronger hook with a smaller collar to eliminate the splitting of plastics

Billfish, Richard ...... any comments, Martin from Taree had mentioned this but couldn't tell me when they would be available

Adam

G'day fellas

check out TT tournament jigs aswell. Nitro are great jigs (I have plenty of them) especially with the lure at rest but the TT's are available with heavy duty or standard gammas in mulitiple hook sizes, I especially like 1/20th with 1/0H gamma hook for minnows and 1/16 2H for grubs. Nitros may also be available in these sizes/gauge but they are not available where I shop? Gauge may not make much difference for alot of people but I am a bit of a skull dragger and need to have one less thing to worry about. The collar is much smaller aswell so there is no occasional bulking or splitting.

Edited by Rick T

G'day fellas

check out TT tournament jigs aswell.  Nitro are great jigs (I have plenty of them) especially with the lure at rest but the TT's are available with heavy duty or standard gammas in mulitiple hook sizes

Rick,

who supplies the TT's. I use a wide variety of Bassmaster, Nitro and Swoffa of course got me onto the Owners. Owners are great but a bit pricey. As for the nitro's I really like the shad head and if correctly put on a minnow looks great with it

The collar's are a nuisance, I don't know why they put it on but was told that Nitro will not be taking them off only making them narrower/smaller

Adam

Sorry mate not sure who the supplier is, I get mine from ABA but have also seen them at complete angler. They have a bullet shaped head which is quite good but probably not as good as a Nitro head at making the lure sit up a bit. The collar is a tonne better, thin and ridged just enough to slide the plastic on without any bulking. The ticket price is $6.95 pk 5 at ABA and $7.95 at complete which is more reasonable than the $9+ for gamma jigs. ABA haven't got owners until they move to the new shop so not sure what they retail at. I used to use bassmaster for certain things aswell, only probs is if u sharpen and re-use your jigs alot (as I do) they tend to rust. And once one rusts everyother jig new or not will rust with it.

I went and bought some Gamakatsu jig heads which seem strong and very sharp but ran into the same problem with the collar. Being the tight ass that I am I filed the collars down a bit which seems ok, no more splits, and they stay on well. Just a lot of work which is a pain.

After months of development and testing the new range of jigs are now available and with over 60 heads they are still evolving. The range now includes 1/32oz in a variety of bream size hooks up to #1 Gamma Heavy Wire. Throughout the Bullet range most grub keepers have been re-engineered with a low profile multi rib grub keeper which gives hreater grip and doesn't split the plastic.

Check out http://nitrofishing.com.au/ for the full range.

Matt Fraser is continually refining the range and there are further changes in the wind and will be available in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
After months of development and testing the new range of jigs are now available and with over 60 heads they are still evolving. The range now includes 1/32oz in a variety of bream size hooks up to #1 Gamma Heavy Wire. Throughout the Bullet range most grub keepers have been re-engineered with a low profile multi rib grub keeper which gives hreater grip and doesn't split the plastic.

Check out http://nitrofishing.com.au/ for the full range.

Matt Fraser is continually refining the range and there are further changes in the wind and will be available in the near future.

:thumbsup: Great web site bill, found some nice looking jigheads and spinnerbaits.

I just recieved shipment of my Nitro Bream Bullets with the heavy wire Gamakatsu hook. Put them to good use on some sambo's, then ducked into Middle Harbour with Stevo for a bit of breamin.

The new hooks and the lower profile collar makes these the perfect combination to use with bass minnows or any other stickbait. They almost look like they were made for each other :P .

Pretty slow day on the breamin front, but none the less, still managed to boat a 37cm and a 38cm bream. After a bit of twisting and pulling to remove the hooks from those big blue lips, the jigs remained in original shape and still nice and sticky sharp. The stand up head also proved a bonus as I didn't get snagged as often as I would with a conventional round head jig,

a bit off the topic, but:

for those with a budget or those who prefer jigheads to be expendable, buy bulk packs of 90 degree bend hooks (mustad are perfect - $7 for 50!) and squash a split to it. the problem of keeping the plastic up the shank is sorted with the tiniest drop of super glue before loading up (zap-a-gap is perfect). i was a bit hesitant at first when using the glue because of its smell, but it really hasn't changed results at all.

i think the mustad hooks are near perfect in regards to strength and penetration, and they hold their sharpness alot longer than some other brands.

plus you get each jig for around 15c!!

i have also started experimenting by first putting a drop of glue between the shot and the hook, then sqaushing them down using a vice (bottom up) and fininshing with a few taps with a hammer to give a "stand-up" jighead. this way the crimped shot never comes loose and you have a jig with the advantages of lower snag rate and better hook-up on fish that take it on the bottom.